• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Power/Surging Power/Stupidity

SierraHotel

Hopefully, someone can figure this one out, or knows what I am describing. About a month ago, I got some gas/used motor oil mix from my father-in-laws neighbor (yes, I know, big mistake). Started pouring it and it strangely looked like it had water in it, but was I assured it was just unleaded gas (un-huh). About halfway through the five gallon can, I couldn’t handle it anymore and quit. Besides what I know believe was water, not gas, there was so much other crud that it would not go down the in tank filter sieve. To ad insult to stupidity, there were several pieces of straw in the sieve. Doh, Doh, Doh! (just call me Homer). Well, with 30 gallons of diesel, some Heet and 3 filters, I hoped for the best. Well, the best lasted about 10 miles, at which point I would have no power for about 15 seconds (even with it floored) and then it would roar to life for 3 or 4 seconds, no power for 15 seconds, roaring to life, etc, etc, etc. At least I had a half a clue to take the back roads…however, they are quit hilly and it was not the most enjoyable Deuce ride.
Well, I assumed that for punishment for being so stupid, I drained my gas tank (bye, bye $100+ of liquid gold). I pulled the pump and cleaned it. I groped around the tank and found several small tree branches (where the heck did those come from??...oh yeah, I have little kids <head>), a thin layer of sludge and a gas cap gasket. I pulled all three filers and replaced the primary and then soaked and blew clean the secondary and final (NAPA did not have them in stock). At that point, I figured out (after putting the tank back together with 10 gallons of fuel) that the fuse on the pump blew. Several more days to get a new fuse and I cleared the existing gas between the primary and the fuel tank and reinstalled the new primary filter. I bled the system and she fired right up.
Went out and got more fuel (about 5 miles) and it started hesitating and surging just outside the gas station. Again, it was not a fun filled ride home on the hilly back roads. Let it sit for about 5 minutes about three times and it was initially better for a short time, but it did not take long to get back to the hesitation/surging.
This weekend, before changing the secondary and final filters, I cleaned the air filter. It was quite dusty and in need of a good blow. For some reason I still cannot fathom, it seemed perfectly logical for me to take a test drive out to see if that worked. This time I made it about 3 miles before I started getting issues. Also this time, I noticed that it would not go above 2,000 RPM in any of the gears (normally I have lots of power), but it did not start hesitating for about three miles. Again with the fun filled ride home on the hilly back roads, with lots of time to kick and berate myself. Of course, my alternator decided that it had had enough of my foolishness and both mounts sheared (the rear one was already cracked).
So, is this just water coating the secondary/primary filters or do I have something that is much worse? The time lag of it occurring, combined with the intermittent power has me stumped.
Any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your IP linkages, fuel shut off lever for smooth movement, perhaps even a sticking FDC (could have some effect on fuel delivery) also try bleeding the fuel filters when the problem occurs, could be an air leak.
Any water would remain at the bottom of the filters and can be drained out, which also includes the fuel tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks