• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No power to start button

L7apk

After a 2 hour drive yesterday , I came to start my deuce today and nothing happened when I pressed the starter. The ignition switch powered up the pump and the guages came alive , but there was no reaction from the starter switch. I tested the continuity of the switch which is fine, but no power to the switch. I ended up starting it by shorting the starter motor and it started fine as usual.
Could this be a broken wire or does anyone have any other ideas?
Any likley places a wire could have broke?
I'm needing a bit of help with this one, Please!

Boatcarpenter

# 74 comes from # 27 from the Ign. Sw.then to the starter button and then from there to the starter relay. # 27 comes from the B terminal of the Ign. Sw. Should be very short wire. Either it is broken or the Ign. Sw. is not powering it for some reason. Get out the multimeter and poke around :D Have fun under there.
BC

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
Mine did the same thing when I picked it up from GL when I shut it down at the first stop. That starter relay that is bolted to the engine block was the culprit. I bought a new one from Memphis and it failed within a week. Replaced it again and it failed again. I bypassed it rely on the soleonoid on the starter. No problems since.

Boatcarpenter

Manstein, happened to me also, but L7apk said he was not getting power to the starter button. "but no power to the switch.". At least that is the way I read it.
BC

L7apk

m-35tom said:
the power that goes to the low air buzzer switch is the same power that goes to the start button.
Ok that might help matters.
Can anyone confirm the power comes off the alternator to the starter switch. Is it the smaller wire on top inbetween the 2 larger ones

burt gummers

my button lost power once. the ground cable that goes from the starter to the frame went. it happened just as yours did i pulled into westfolks house it cooled and i shuter down. hours later came back and hit the button and nuthing. ended up starting it via a short and got it home to change the wire. just another thing to rule out. good luck

L7apk

Manstein said:
Mine did the same thing when I picked it up from GL when I shut it down at the first stop. That starter relay that is bolted to the engine block was the culprit. I bought a new one from Memphis and it failed within a week. Replaced it again and it failed again. I bypassed it rely on the soleonoid on the starter. No problems since.
Yes , I have now traced it to the starter relay. :D
sorry I gave you some duff gen in the initial post, there is power to the switch :oops:
To bypass it , did you simply undo the small wire on the top of the relay and connect it straight to the larger wire underneath the relay. On the wiring diagram Boat carpenter supplied it would be wire 74B removed and connected to 14 or 214.
Is this a safe fix?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks