• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No power what could be wrong ?

Johnn Bravo

Hi all, guess I have to start off my first post on a bad note.
I have a M1009 that's way short on power, can't maintain speed going up hill or accelerate going up hill, it also sucks on flats trying to get up to speed it takes about a mile to hit 55mph, can't pass either. Off road it sucks too, keep getting stuck, the tires wont even turn it's so bad, the only way I got out last time was 4lo and first gear and that was on a flat land.
Here's what happens, it seems like there's only throttle response in the first 1/8 of the gas peddle after that it wont make any power, you can mash the peddle up and down as much as you want but it will just bog down and make a drowning/humming sound. Off road is the worst, once you star to lose power your stuck, just makes that noise and the tires wont even move.

So far I changed the fuel, air, and oil filter, new oil, 2nd tank of diesel, checked for air leaks in the fuel system (none that I could find), put a different check valve on the return line, had the injector pump timing checked. There's a marked difference between this truck and my other 6.2. This new M1009 feels like a wheezy 305 vs my other truck which feels more like a worked over 350.
So does anyone have any thoughts to what the issue could be and why I'm not getting any power ? All I can think of is that the lift pump or injector pump is bad ?

Last edited:

stampy

Sounds like fuel filter...Yes I know you changed it. Try this...connect a new can of diesel to the intake on the fuel pumpvia a new piece of hose...(after the filter) and see if you get power now!

Johnn Bravo

The breaks were dragging, just got that fixed today and it didn't help a bit.
I think stampy might be on the right path, oddly enough I just got back in from messing around with the fuel filter, went to see if it was clogged or what have you. Went to drain it to see if I had water in there, the bottom fitting, nothing came out no diesel nothing and I took it all the way off till something came out. Now with it all the way back on, it's sending out a steady flow of diesel so I guess I have to hunt down a new filter base, perhaps it's cracked on the back side and there's a leak there.
Once there's a break in the weather I'll pull the filter base off the other truck and see if that does me any good.

Edit, it looks like the seal for the drain fitting is gone on the filter base. Think it was gone before, I had it drip for a while on me last time I drained it.

Last edited:

Johnn Bravo

Update, I got a new filter base which didn't go well, couldn't get the truck started after changing it, not sure if it was sucking in air or what. I ended up messing around with the old filter base and switching some parts out, I think the problem was it was sucking in air. It's making a little more power now and I wasn't able to get stuck in 2wd, I can't say its at 100% now but it sure is better then it was before.

lavarok

After you installed the new filter base, did you follow the proper procedure to bleed the air out?

Remove pink wire from IP
open top bleed valve
make sure hose is connected to top port on base with a catch container
crank
crank
crank some more until a steady stream of diesel comes out the tube at top.
close bleed screw
reconnect pink wire

crank and it should fire off.

Johnn Bravo

Negative, I pulled the return line off of the injection pump and shot air thru it to bleed it. Done it before a few times and worked well with no troubles, think it may be something with the new base its self, tired 2 bases and had now luck untill I put the old base back on.

stampy

Ok glad it's getting better but now try with a fuel can as that eliminates (the fuel tank and any screens in between as well as all hosing or piping that may be swelled/cracked/flattened. RUN off the fuel can and that will tell you if your problem is fuel system before the IP or after. Personally I would get a new hose new can and clean diesel and go directly to the IP, that eliminates ALL the hosing filters and any leaks in between. If you run great after doing this THEN you can backtrack and find the problem....If you don't run great the you know your problem is IP related or in front of the IP, ie injectors/rings/ headgasket, as always GOOD LUCK and Keep us informed!:grd:

stampy

Also a spin on filter is much easier to change as you can prefill them and thus eliminate all the steps involving bleed out when changing filters. You lose the ware warning capacity of the stock filter base, but it has been great for me filters are cheaper by far also. I keep a spare filter and a can of cheap ATF just in case I have a problem on the road and it has been great for the past couple of years

Johnn Bravo

Once I get the time Ill have to try bypassing the filter and check the lift pump like said. With the little I did you can notice an improvement and I'm sure there's still a small leak somewhere but its good enough for now to keep me happy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks