• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No power!!!!

tah081

I bought the truck a while back and got it running i thought pretty well…. after trying to move it a measly 35 miles it turned out it didnt run very well at all…. after driving it about 10 min i had to pull off because it had zero power…. it idles great but as soon as you try to take off you get no power…. i ended up pulling off every couple miles hoping to make it to my destination…. about half way there it lost power really bad and made a loud pop and shuttered horribly to a halt while a crap ton of white smoke shot out of the slobber tube…
i towed it with my truck the rest of the way to my destination

about 2 weeks ago i decided to try and start it and it sounded pretty ok… it may have the slightest of knock… i really cant tell tho because its pretty faint but im pretty sure its a new sound tho…i drove it around the ranch and it has absolutely no power still

things i did before the move were put in fresh diesel and fuel filters….i put a brand new in tank fuel pump and made sure i have no air leaks

im hoping someone may be able to shed some light on exactly what the problem might be so i dont have to take the whole truck apart… although i fear that may be what im gonna have to regaurdless

thanks to anyone that might be able to help :deadhorse:

Westech

CPL
well its ez... if it starts and runs but no get up and go.. its a fuel problem. Make sure the filters are clean... a 3 of them. Maje sure there is power to the lift pump and its working.
does the engine rev up when not in gear and your foot mashed to the floor?

DieselBob

I would tend to agree that at least part of your problem is fuel filters. If there was much crud/sludge in the tank the fresh fuel will tend to cut it loose and plug up the primary filter located under the alternator pretty quick. As to the "POP" and the white smoke coming out the draft tube that doesn't sound good. Are you still getting a lot of smoke out of the draft tube ?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the lift pump is working. You should be able to hear fuel returning to the tank. I would then drain and clean the fuel tank and replace all three filters again.

tah081

no smoke but i meant to see if there is still a lot of air flow coming out of it… i was thinkin it could have blown the head gasket forcing a lot of steam into the crank case… i just hope theres not a hole in the top of one of the pistons :confused:

tah081

the lift pump is bran new and i can hear fuel returning to the tank and the fuel is new and the tank is clean… nothing other than diesel has been run in it from what i can see… no sludge what so ever

DieselBob

no smoke but i meant to see if there is still a lot of air flow coming out of it… i was thinkin it could have blown the head gasket forcing a lot of steam into the crank case… i just hope theres not a hole in the top of one of the pistons :confused:
Did the coolant level in the radiator drop any. With the radiator cap removed is there any bubbling in the coolant ? Any indication that there is coolant getting in the oil ?

tah081

its hard to tell because there was a small pin hole leak in the radiator before so it has dropped… i looked but i didnt have any coolant on hand to fill it up and check for bubbles

machinist75

On one of my deuces the fdc was bipassed. I unbipassed it and took it for a drive, no power at all. Barely enough nads to make it up the driveway. Bipassed it again and went back to running fine.

tah081

still an ongoing problem… but im gonna try bypassing the fdc and hope thats the problem…. i was hoping i might get more answers with the new post… i still worry about the loud pop i heard

motorcar if you ever have some time let me know i would love the second opinion

derby

Could be a mouse nest in the air cleaner? Do you have an infared thermometer? You could shoot all the exhaust ports and see if they are all hot, that will give you an idea if all cylinders are all firing.

It can't hurt to drop the primary filter to see what is in it.

Gimp, what do you think about a sticky governor?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its hard to say, but I doubt the gov. for now. If the fuel is clean and the filters are new, I agree that pulling the air filter out and going around the block would be next for me. I like checking temp on the exhaust too, or if he can't do that, try putting a screwdriver up to his ear and the other end to the injectors. You will know right away if one isn't right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks