• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No reverse on my M923A2

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well.....Simp is just a bit faster than I am.

It is as easy a 4x4 1/2 ton truck if you have the correct jack that lifts to 32.5" -35" in height. You can let the air out of the tires if the jack won't go high enough....BUT get the trans on the jack and underneath the truck first. I had a tough time of getting the trans under the truck with it on the jack. Use a small wratchet strap to secure the trans to the jack.

BigRig379 was kind enough to loan me a jack.

(2)Rear upper trans mount bolts are 15/16".

Be sure to flush your intercooler of old fluid before connecting to new transmission.

It is easier to remove/install the torque converter bolts thru the starter hole with it removed.

Cut the head off of (4) longer bolts and use them in the bellhousing when stabbing the new transmission in. Take a zipsaw and cut a groove where the head was on the bolt so that you can remove the bolts with a flat blade screwdriver when trans is back in.

Also hang the spacer ring on your (4) guide bolts and zip tie it thru one additional hole, so that the ring stays put while stabbing the new transmission.

The torque converter is very very heavy. Do not fool around and let it fall out half way up when installing. Keep jack tilted back until you are almost all the way up.

Remove the dipstick first and put it back on last so that it doesn't get bent during remove/install. Use Permatex thread sealant pn 59235 on dipstick to pan threads.

Be very careful when tightening down bellhousing bolts, go a little at a time, you are screwing a steel bolt into aluminum threads and it is possible to strip the threads by torqueing one bolt all at once when mating trans to bellhousing.
looks like the only wAy to get torque converter bolts off is by removing the starter? Can’t find any other way. If the other option is that small access plate below it, there is no chance.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
looks like the only wAy to get torque converter bolts off is by removing the starter? Can’t find any other way. If the other option is that small access plate below it, there is no chance.
Use the starter hole. The NH855s have an access port on the opposite side the motor. That access hole on the 8.3.can be utilized but removing the starter is easier .

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
And if you have a torch. Just reach up there and cut that upper transmission mount bolt. It's the center one thru the rubber. Easier to replace that bolt than screw with those upper transmission bolts

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Use the starter hole. The NH855s have an access port on the opposite side the motor. That access hole on the 8.3.can be utilized but removing the starter is easier .
I will add that people hate using the access hole on the NH855 trucks cause it's a pain to get down to it. Kinda tight area. But no one ever thinks to use the cab jacks and raise the cab 6 inches and pull the exhaust. Alot quicker that fighting with that space

tobyS

Too bad there isn't an access hole from the top, about the center of gravity of the transmission, for a lift strap hoist or something. I could be tempted to make one with a grinder cut wheel and form a plate to cover the hole after it's re-assembled. I'm glad the top of the tranny is open on my A3.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks