• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No shim starter/flywheel

bkwudzhom

My M1008 had a starting problem and I did the search thing to figure out the problem. I was told by several friends that the problem was that I needed to shim the starter. I removed the inspection plate only to find that there is NO way to measure the starter to flywheel contact distance due to the nose cone shrouding the starter drive gear. I then pulled the starter and found that it is a NO SHIM starter. After removing the starter I can see that the teeth on the flywheel at the starter are completely gone all the way across. I am in the process of replacing the flywheel. I have read several posts on how and I think I can do it my self with out much problem. I do have a question. Do I need to worry about the starter being I the right place with out shims? It seems to be going deep enough due to the entire section of each tooth being gone and not just part of the tooth. I know the previous owner had starter trouble due to lack of using the end bracket but I corrected that problem with a new bracket set as well as removing a broken starter bolt and replacing both of them with new GM ones. Also what would cause the teeth to grind off if the starter is placed in the proper position? I am assuming that the damage o the flywheel was done before I got it when the starter was just barely hanging on.
Thanks ahead for any info.

rnd-motorsports

The starter not having the rear brace would let it loosen and cause the damage puts the started in a bind and the flywheel teeth are the week link in the end. starter bendix or drive is hardend flywheel not. the starter I would think will be fine as long as it has brace and is tight do not break bolts but make snug .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks