• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No spark on MEP 018A gen set

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just picked this gen set up, has 3 hrs on it....couldn't get it started, thought it was fuel, was,leaning on fuel pump, till I disconnected the fitting into the carb...plenty of fuel, removed spark plug, soaked...fired with the plug out and no spark. Bad magneto? I thought I had this issue on my Mule years ago and I remember I had to change out all my plugs and wires and it fired right up.

any ideas?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
did this, all looks good...Looking at previous threads, I think maybe that the Mag is being grounded.
I called Saturn Surplus, he seems to think same. Maybe a bad switch? I am going to remove the wire on the Mag....I also thought a low oil pressure condition as well, but no Motor has Oil pressue on startup, so IMHO it has to be bypassed till engine runs.I hope it aint a Magneto or Coil, Saturn does not have just coils, just new Mags....

jbk

i might have a used fm mag. you can have, it did fire. i would need to look. the oil preasure safty is bypassed while in the start position.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well, she runs, and good at that...not sure what I did....I just cleaned up the points, Dist cap and reassembled. finally got spark. I have 45-50 Psi on Oil pressure and the 120v socket works with a light plugged in. I have not attempted to check output yet, I have the Selector set for 120/240 Single Phase.
Not sure how to set the rest of the dials so set them all at the farthest Counter clockwise position.

Question, in what position is the Governor supposed to be set at, all the way Back or towards the gen Set Engine? the Arrow point towards the engine and I think says start/idle? once started, what position do I leave it in? I played with it but no real affect.
I played with startup and shut down, I noticed the Choke only works when cold and when Hot its manual, starts right up with a little pull on the choke. I do know not to idle this critter so she ran full....loud as ****.

Triple Jim

Good work getting it running, and not surprising that's all it took. I help a neighbor keep his Ford NAA tractor running. 90% of the time he has trouble, I clean the points and dry the inside of the distributor and it runs fine again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks