• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No start 86 CUCV HELP!

StephenCole

I am having more than a little trouble starting my 1986 CUCV I drove it earlier a couple of days ago but when i was leaving a couple of hours later that same day it died before I could even leave the parking lot, it wont start at all and after making sure the glow plugs were working correctly(has been converted to a manual switch) I replaced the fuel pump, that was an entire bundle of joy itself, and got it to kick over for a second then died, now it wont even stay on at idle. I went ahead and replaced the fuel filter but when I went to prime it I could not get any fuel to come out of the line on the left side of the fuel filter mount. If I understood the directions I have read for priming it after some cranking fuel should come out of it.

Any advice on what would be keeping it from starting would be GREATLY appreciated, this has been my daily driver for more than a year so no worries about anything being seized up from sitting. Thank you all in advance!

Oldsouthernboy

• When you changed the fuel filter did you take the cap off the fuel tank, you will never get it primed if the fuel cap is on. It will suck air in to the filter and never start. The cap off will let the filter prime. Also check your pink wire on the IP is in place, good connection, Also if the fuel shut of switch the the pink wire goes to fails you will not get fuel to the pump to run the engine.

acesneights1

I would not have even wasted my time putting a mech Lift pump back on. Toss that junk and put a stock LP for a 93 K3500 6.5TD. wire it to the power for the IP via Sol. You will be alot happier. If safety is a concern you can wire in an OPS via a T.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:roll: What Westy said!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just undeleted post # 5, so you would understand.

Recently IGD had posted "what he said" to a bunch of threads.

They have been deleted.

StephenCole

about two hours away, why?
btw, does anyone know the vlotage that should be going it the sending unit in the tank? I read 3.4v when keyed on, is this correct?

acesneights1

Here is the part I generally use to upgrade to an electric LP. Mods, if it's not ok to post this lionk please let me know but I don't "think" it competes with site vendors.
NAPA AUTO PARTS)

The other downside to Mech LP's is occasionally they like to take a dump and fill the crankcase with fuel...I don't think the mech ones last much longer and they certainly are a PIA. my .02

acesneights1

If you choose that route, the fittings on the LP are metric oring seat. You will (IIRC) M16x1.5 oring seat male to JIC then you can go whatever from there. I like Pushlok hose myself...

acesneights1

Part Number: NFP P74001
Product Line: NAPA Fuel Pumps

Attributes: Contents : Hardware Package
Fuel Pump Gallons Per Hour : 20
Fuel Pump Pressure Rating : 10-14

Warranty:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks