• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No start after sitting a month

Prospect62

Had the M1009 nose up on jack stands for the last four weeks (I get about 6 hours a week of free time to wrench) replacing the front end and doing other odds and ends like balancer, belts, new PS pump ands all new PS lines, etc. In fact, it's still nose up on jack stands. I finished the balancer, etc. install and went to fire it up to test it. It ran for about one second, like a quick burble, then shut down and would not restart. Prior to this, the truck always started after one quick cycle of the GP's and fired right off. Never had even the slightest issue. This is the longest I've gone without starting it since I've owned it.

The lift pump or the feed line where it connects to the lift pump is leaking and has been since I've owned the truck. Never caused a problem before. I'm assuming that I've lost prime. After cranking for several minutes (I know, that's bad) it started leaking again which in a way is good since I know there's fuel getting at least that far. I called it a day after that.

Does this sound like a lost prime issue to you guys? As far as I know the GP's are working fine but I have yet to test them. Even if they weren't working, I assume the truck would start after several minutes of cranking on a 75 degree day.

I have a new lift pump, I guess I'll get that installed. Was thinking of sealing up that pressure sensor on the OEM fuel filter base also (seen it mentioned here) or maybe just change to a spin-on system? Open to suggestions to get her going for the short term. I can make major upgrades and overhauls later.

Attachments

Prospect62

You have been driving with a leak in the fuel system and so far dodged a bullet from breaking down and needing to get a tow. This is a gift that it won't start at home. Don't push your luck, fix it while your safe at home.
I don't disagree, but I haven't been driving it. I bought it, drove it a mile then parked it and immediately started tearing it down so I guess that's good. Would you start with the lift pump?

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't disagree, but I haven't been driving it. I bought it, drove it a mile then parked it and immediately started tearing it down so I guess that's good. Would you start with the lift pump?
It was starting and running before sitting idle for weeks, you have a fuel leak that has been on going all that time. You have lost your prime. I think your only problem is your fuel system. If you get it temporarily running it will just happen again. Fixing your fuel system is a basic job less involved than what you have already done. It needs fixing, start there first, and go from there.

dependable

I have new lift pumps on two trucks start leaking around pinch seam between upper and lower half shortly after installation, hard to get good parts these days.

They will let air in system and you will loose prime or suck air. If you drive them every day, you might not have problem starting, but still will be leaking fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks