• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no start electrical problem

fastbuckink

This has happened to me 4 times. One was this morning and the latest this afternoon. This morning, while it was still dark out, Turn key one click to everything light up as normal, water in fuel . glow plug wait etc. When i turn the key to crank it over, nothing. No click no crank. I noticed today because it was dark the oil pressure light was dimly lit while turning the key to start. Take the key out and try again and nothing, no wait lights or anything on run and the slight glow but no noise on start. I tried it a few more time and then everything comes back on as normal and it turns over when i turn the key to start.
I drove it 2 hours and parked it. Around 4:30 get in it, and try to start it. Nothing this time. Play with it a bit and it comes back to life, and i drove it 2 hours back home.
It is 24v and has the regular starter solenoid in it. I have had the solenoid fail in my other truck by having it keep cranking, or being dead. When it was dead. The glow plug wait light worked.

fastbuckink

the other day it happened again and i could not get it to start.
i got most of it ripped apart. i think i have a short somewhere in the lighting system. when checking the red wires in the ignition switch you should have 12v all the time, correct?. i have 12v there untill it turn the lights on. then it drops to zero. i tried 2 light switches. if i use the black out switch to kill the lights i have 12 v. when the black out switch is in the on position and the lights are on. i get nothing. i have disconnected the headlights at the hi/low switch. this still happens with the blackout relay removed.
20140419_163021[1].jpg20140419_163045[1].jpg20140419_163034[1].jpg

markx250

Any updates on this? I think I may have a similar problem. Mine won't start since it is only getting 6V or so to the starter relay ... not enough to trip it. Everything else works, except now my turn signals stopped. So I got a bad switch, ground or short I need to trace.