• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Start Help M931A2

spicergear

I ran my 931 last weekend pulling pine trees down and it worked great. I came up yesterday, hopped in, flipped the battery switch, it made it's typical couple of noises, flipped to run, then start and all it did was turn over with no start. This truck's 6CTA has ALWAYS started within about a second of turning over. I tried a few times cycling battery on off, etc with no luck.

The big solenoid on the main engine kill at the IP is working as it should and the lever on the IP is moving fine but I can't hear if the solenoid on top of the engine mounted fuel pump on driver's side middle-rear of block is working. I know on other stuff I've heard those solenoids make an audible click. On the CAT in my crane truck, I can hear if click from in the cab.

I gave it a tiny sniff of ether and if fired so I know I'm getting no fuel.

Anyone run into this yet?? Can anyone with a 939 series truck with the 6CTA check to see if the pump solenoid makes a click you can hear or feel?

Anyone run into something else this could be???

I need this truck mobile!

Thanks!!!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shut off valve does not make noise, it only pulls in and out. Those solenoids fail quite often, you need to make sure it is pulling all the way up. Take it off and pull the lever all the way up with bailing wire to see if it starts. IIRC the travel for the lever is 2 1/2 inches. If it still is a no start you need to start checking fuel pressure. Tap on the filter, does it ring or kinda make a thud?

spicergear

The filter rings like its empty.

The large shut off solenoid that pushes on a lever on the IP was working fine but seemed to get pretty warm in the few times it was cycles...but worked fine. The filter is after the small fuel shut off solenoid on the top of the pump... do you think that's stuck shut or what? Thanks Will!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Small s/o on top of the pump?? Can you post a pic? If the filter is empty,,,sounds tinny when you tap on it with a wrench, pen, etc, it's out of fuel. The filter is on the low pressure side of the system, meaning it is after the lift pump and before the injection pump and normally has between 15 and 30 PSI in it while running. If there is an issue with the lines or a filter BEFORE the lift pump, on the truck somewhere, the engine will suck the fuel out of the filter and run 'till it is dry, then die. You can put air into the tank thru the vent, or remove the cap and stick the nozzle in the neck, cover it with a rag, and give it a fwe short bursts to prime the low side system and possibly find an issue in the truck side of the system. When you do this, crack the outlet line at the filter and stop when you see fuel coming out of it. It helps to have a second set of hands and eyes with you to do this. You do not need to crack injector lines to get it to start, the inline bosch pumps are self priming, just hold you foot to the floor.

Keep us posted, if you wana chat, PM me and i'll shoot you a #.

It's normal for that shut off valve to get pretty warm.

spicergear

We're running! Thank you Will! Gave me a couple things to look for AND pressurizing the tank was key. I cracked the IN line to the big primary filter and pressurized the tank and nothing...looked at the splitter under the cab, thought, "no friggin way..." flipped the manual tank select valve, pressurized the tank again and had fuel at the primary filter. Pulled the small filter and filled it with fuel, gave it a few starts at wide open and a shot of ether to get her over the hump and we're running again.

Last week the wife and I switched positions and o let her drive from down the farm. During or switch, the tank valve must've gotten bumped. My passenger side tank is no fuel and I want to clean it.

WHEW, crisis averted...and many thanks again to Will! :grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks