• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No start help

KP24

This site has been a huge help for me and provided me with a ton of useful information thus far so I would like to start about by saying thanks in advance for all your help.

Now on to my issue. I have a m1008 that I have been working on and was starting it about once a week and letting in run for about an hour to keep the batteries charged. I have been doing this for a couple months with no issues until recently the truck wouldn't start. The battery indicator was in the red and the gen 1 and 2 and oil pressure light would stay on and the truck didn't start. The first thing I did was pull the batteries and hook them up to a charger. Once they were recharged I plugged them back in and had the same issue only now it sits in the red then I hear a click and it goes to mid yellow on the indicator. Still no start and gen 1 and 2 and oil pressure indicator are still lit. It doesn't even try to turn over or attempt to do anything when I try to start it. Hopefully my description isn't to vague and someone can point me in the right direction so I can figure out what's going on and fix it. Thanks again for all your help

hotdogs151a2

Mr. KP 24:
Mr. cucv1833 is correct. Even if the batteries are fairly new or new, have them tested. That is the first place I always check.
Thanks, Pvt. Hotdog

DonK

After checking the Battery Cables and connection, if you still have nothing, check for voltage at the starter. If nothing, work back checking voltage at the Starter relay under the dash and go from there. I had a similuar situation with my oh9, turned out to be a loose connection at the starter. And if you haven't done the Doghead Mod...get er done...

KP24

Thanks for all the responses. I checked both batteries and they both are putting out 12.7 Volts when isolated, and 12.5 volts when connected with the key in the on position. Both alternators are at 12 volts. I pulled the starter relay and decided to start checking and the red is getting 22.1 volts, nothing off of either purple wires. Not entirely sure what my next step it. Thanks for all the help and sorry for having so many questions.

sierrajcharlie

At the starter relay, the red is your 24 volt feed to the relay. The purple is the 24 volt switched to the starter solenoid. The purple with a white stripe is the 12 volt wire from the ignition switch. When the key is in the start position you should then have 12 volt on the purple/white wire and 24 or in your case 22.1 volts on the other purple wire. If not, you've got a bad relay. The doghead conversion is fairly easy and avoids having the original relay hanging and frying your starter. Good luck!

KP24

I went to napa and followed the doghead relay mod thats stickied at the top. Still no luck with a start using the key, I can take the red wire and tap it to the purple and it starts right up without any issues but still no juice ever goes to the purple white, regardless of key position, or the purple. I am not entirely sure if many the relay i got today happened to be bad, but that still doesnt explain the lack of power to the purple white wire...............:confused:

cpf240

Perhaps a bad or out of alignment ignition switch? Or maybe something to do with the neutral safety mechanism?

Time to get out the meter and trace those wires! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks