• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No start M1008... won't crank & burned 2 fusible links??!! - w/ pics

cucvrus

For the lazy ones, he needs to use the "S" terminal.
Sorry for being so lazy. I was just acting on instinct. Rarely do I just open a book to find the answer. Unless it's the Bible. I will try harder in the future. But in the end the wire does go on the inside terminal closest to the engine. Why is one considered lazy just for asking a question of other members? If the books and searches is all we have to do we should eliminate these posts all together? Just put an index at the top of the site and add trouble shooting to PM's only.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My comment was NOT directed at you.

I posted a link where the answer could be found. Many people will not click on links and many times they actually ask again for the information(because they did not click a link or read it.

I added my comment and the needed info in the last line, so that everyone reading this would see the answer.

Nothing was directed at anyone in particular.

You are not getting the fact that the site can be used as a reference.

Many times, members need to realize that when a moderator answers a question, we may also try to help you use the site with our answer. Members often just help themselves. We(mods) want to help everyone reading it then and for years to come.

Let's not debate how the site can be used and how we want it used.

Last edited:

PETE BALLARD

just asking if the presence of 24 volts on the solinoid has been confirmed? Many times we get ahead of ourselves and miss the obvious - myself included. I had something similar going on and it was just a loose connection between the two batteries that provided 24 volts to the starter. Just my $.02

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
just asking if the presence of 24 volts on the solinoid has been confirmed? Many times we get ahead of ourselves and miss the obvious - myself included. I had something similar going on and it was just a loose connection between the two batteries that provided 24 volts to the starter. Just my $.02
Post 57, he said it did.

So, I threw down a large piece of cardboard on the cold ground, and got back under the truck.

With some maneuvering, and trying to feel and make sure I had the correct post and such.
I was able to get the positive lead on my multi-meter (voltage tester) on the Starter Solenoid post where the small purple wire (which is red since it was repaired) connects to the Starter Solenoid.

I then touched the nose cone with the negative lead, and had my Dad hit the key.
*When he turned the key to the start position, it had power.

Or, do you mean at the large battery cable?

Last edited:

PETE BALLARD

Large cable to be powered all the time regardless of key position - voltage to be 24 volts. On my m1028 which is the same as yours if the starter is 24 volt there is a jumper cable the goes between the two batteries that privides the link to go up from 12 to 24 volts. Mine had a loose - dirty connection so the key would energize the relay but nothing happened past that point - when checking both batteries,they were showing good charge- after thinking about the problem for a couple minutes - i thought- what's wrong with this picture? That is when i checked for the higher voltage. Checked the connections and found the problem - usually something simple. Hope you find your problem soon.
All the best-pete

Kjenavy

I'll look into this. I put new batteries cables and fuses. New grounds but still the front battery drains and won't charge. Had alternators tested twice as good. Rebuilding drivers side alternator this weekend and going to solder all the battery connectors.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Final Update!

Good Evening All!
Sorry it took me so long to post an update. It was really late last night, and then I worked all day today.

But Anyway.......
We got our CUCV fixed!! :jumpin: :naner::jumpin::naner::jumpin::naner: <- i never thought I would ever use that banana smiley

I didn't get any more pics while working on it... but I thought I would at least post a pic of the truck:

1986 M1008 with 19,700 original miles w/ our modified custom aluminum bed cover:
We've put over 10,000 miles on it since we purchased it in early 2012

1986 M1008.jpg

The Last issue was the starter relay wire.... I had it reversed and had installed it on the wrong post :oops:
Had to un-bolt the starter again, and drop it down onto the frame. But once I switched the solenoid wire around, and put it on the "S" post, the new Wilson Starter worked fine.

I wanted to give a big "Thanks" to everyone here on SS who took the time to help me figure out these issues [thumbzup]

Also wanted to thank CucvRus for the replacement starter bracket (which this truck was missing), And for it being made for a Perfect Fit & Alignment [thumbzup]

I try to always search SS when I have questions, as there is a Ton of great information on here, which has helped us out on our CUCV and our M25a2 Deuce many times in the last couple years.
On most issues, if I have a problem, there's usually someone else who's had the same problem before. But sometimes I'm not the best with searching, and even worse in the TM's... wish there was a really good TM program instead of just the PDF files. But the pdf is better than no TM, and its really helpful... when I can find what I'm looking for. I have hard-copies for our deuce, but only the PDFs for this truck.

Doghead, I looked up the link you posted, and I had seen that thread before, but I scanned through it but missed that particular post. Guess I 'scan' to quickly sometimes, need to slow down and read a bit more, and I would have found the answer to my exact question.

Its just there is so many threads, when you're looking for something, I often find myself reading a lot of threads that doesn't pertain to my issue at all. And then I guess I start scanning to quickly and miss what I'm needing.

Anyway, after some work and tracing down wires... gave it an oil & filter change while I was waiting for parts...
But everything is finally repaired, and the truck is back running!

Interestingly, it actually starts much quicker than before, not that it took a really long time before, just seemed normal.
But now it starts really quick, not sure if its just the new starter, or the new engine ground wire, or a combination of everything.

In any case I'm just happy we have back on the road :driver:

Thanks Everyone!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks