• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No start M1008

DooDooBrown

My newly aquired M1008 will not start. It ran fine for a month and appears to be in great condition. It turns over but will not fire up. The voltage read low so I tried recharging the batteries to no avail. I then noticed when I was attempting to crank it, one of the batteries was sparking at the positive lead. Any ideas? Thank you all in advance.

oh yeah, I searched to no avail.

Westech

CPL
well make sure your battery cable ends are in good shape and clean, that should take care of the sparking. As of not starting sounds like the glow plugsare not lighting up. check to see if you have power at the plug when you turn on the truck, also may just be worn out glow plugs... but thats where I would start looking in the glow plug area

ida34

Bad connection at the battery for sure. Check the cables and clean the connectors and try again. The bad connection may be hampering the glow plugs by not giving them the juice they need.

DooDooBrown

Thanks again. It was dirty connections and a bad cable. (the one that goes from positive to negative between the batteries). Fired right up after about 30 min of work and a new cable.

DooDooBrown

Well worked fine for a week, but once again no start. I recharged both batteries, but still it wouldn't crank. It tries to start but doesn't turn all the way over. Maybe a bad battery? I'll get it checked out.

DooDooBrown

I recharged the batteries and hooked everything back up. I checked the glow plug relay, appears to be ok. The voltage meter is in the yellow as I wait for the "wait light" to turn off. It only has enough juice to turn over once and obviously wont crank..I will have the battery tested on Monday or Tuesday. If it is a bad battery, I have a Optima Yellow top from another project. I may pick up another one and put them in the truck.

I had plans for 4" tough country springs, ORD shackle flip kit and 38x12.50 swamper sx's. At this rate, I may have to bolt on some 36's and save the lift money for future nickle and dime issues.

Here is a pic of the truck...I have to get it back to a milspec color..

http://server4.pictiger.com/img/919137/picture-hosting/p-1010008.php

DooDooBrown

I took the batteries checked. Both were good. I hooked everything back up and still no start. It cranks for about a half a second and sounds like it bogged down. The truck still did not start. There is also a faint smell like one of the belts slipping. I crawled under the truck and tapped on the starter. I kept attempting to start it and it finally started cranking over and started. I took it for a little ride and then parked it back at my house. I turned it off and cranked her up again. It started right up. I then let her sit for a while and attempted to crank her. It did not crank. I followed the same steps as above, and it cranked, but not at first as before.

So it may be a bad starter...My next step

ida34

Check all the belt driven accessories to see if any are dragging or seizing. Loosen the belts and try to turn them by hand. If you can get the belts out of the way, try to start it without the accessories attached by the belts. Do not leave it running. The waterpump will not be circulating and it will over heat. Just see if the starting condition is any better with them disconnected. Your comments on the belt got me thinking about an accessory adding drag to the engine. The power steering pump on my tractor just seized and it was slowing the engine down on start up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks