• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Start Problem-Solved

renovate7

My new to me 1008 wouldn't start yesterday. I had completely pressure cleaned the underside and "assumed" this had something to do with it. The starter relay was hanging down from the dash when this arrived. After reading many threads and the manuals I started with this relay. I held the relay in my hand and could feel and hear it clicking on and off as I turned the key to the start position. I had 24v at all times to the big red wire, 12v to the purple and white wire with the key all the way forward in the start position and no power at all from the big purple wire. Bad relay? I took a jumper wire to the two terminals in the plug and the starter turns over just fine. Bad relay. I pulled the cover off and found the most gunked up mess on the contact tips I've ever seen. How this worked up until this no start I have no idea...I've read the Doghead relay thread. Napa lists this as a 12v 200 amp relay primarily for mower applications. No problem using it for 24v?
relay 005.jpgrelay 007.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Luckily you only had a no start issues. With that relay most people end up with a run away starter issue. The relay suggested for the DH relay conversion is ideal for the upgrade. It is a 12v coil that is switching the 24v for the starter solenoid.

That original relay was designed as a relay for air conditioners. Not up to the task of switching a starter solenoid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks