• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NO START without ETHER !!!???

stalker

I need help from the panel of experts on what to try next to get my Deuce to start on it's own without starter fluid. I ran the truck up to the store, shut it off and went inside for supplies and when I came back out, it would not start back up. Thought mabye out of fuel, so put spare 5 gallons in... no go.
I've got it at the homestead now and can get her running if I use starter fluid. Truck has a hard time idling, but will run good over 800 rpm. If I give it gas and back off quickly she will die. At this point, I have removed primary and secondary fuel filters to eliminate clog problem. I removed fuel pump and cleaned it, but did not make a difference. Accessory switch on and all bleeders incuding the one on top of secondarhy filters push fuel. Fuel also comes from the return line as well. The kill switch lever appears to be in the seven oclock position. STILL NO START WITHOUT ETHER. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Humm, does that lever in the 7 o'clock position move forward and back freely? Have you checked to see if the piston is moving up and down?

stalker

With the truck off, the kill lever moves bachward freely (7 oclock to 3 oclock) but does not move forward past 7 oclock. I have not checked the piston pump because I thought the since the truck will run with an ether start then the piston must be pumping.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Can't hurt to rule it out, running out of easy checks to do. Going to have to pull the HH for more trouble shooting.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Untill you solve your problem, you might want to try spraying WD40 in the intake instead of ether, it should be a little easier on the engine.

Westex

Don't use ether; you'll eventually blow it up. Sounds like an injector pump issue. Your choice at this point, unless you find a more obvious tracing problem, is to pull the IP, or let somebody do it for you. It is not cheap if it is the injector pump.

hdexpert

Is the in tank fuel pump working? When's the last time you changed your fuel filters?
I agree, lay off the ether. I shattered the rings in my deuce with that crap!!

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The twin nuts by FDC. Quick and easey loosen outer half turn turn inter nut clockwise two full turns then lock down jam nut and see if that helps.

chicklin

The twin nuts by FDC. Quick and easey loosen outer half turn turn inter nut clockwise two full turns then lock down jam nut and see if that helps.
Two FULL turns? Isn't the conventional wisdom to only turn it a flat or two at a time and then check things out (preferably with a pyro)?

sandcobra164

Mine gave me the same trouble after I swapped turbos and broke one of the hard plastic lines that feed the intake heater. I sealed the line off since I don't need a intake heater and the truck started fine on the coldest day in GA. It now fires on the first bump of the starter again. Intank pump was fine the whole while. I never had to use ether but it would start quick, die about 10 seconds later and then take extensive cranking / sputtering before it'd run. It also felt quite low on power until I got the issue sorted out.

Josh

A little gasoline on a rag over the mushroom is a good "starting" fluid for the deuce. Ive used it a few times when the deuce wouldnt start on it owns. Shouldnt hurt it either.