• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No turn signals or brake lights!

cbvet

I only have a little time to get my lights working. I'm hoping for some quick tips from you guys.

Turn signals & brake lights quit about the same time, while driving to a parade.

I have power to the brake light switch. Jumping the two wires to it doesn't light the lights. Does this feed THRU the 3 lever switch or turn signal switch then back to the lights?

I have power to the turn signal switch on line 160, but no signals or 4-ways. Ideas?

Headlights , dash, & instrument lights OK.

Jinx

Open the three way signal switch on the steering column. The mechanical switches need to be cleaned. Lightly file the contact points will get power for both the signals and the brake lights. I had to do the same thing with my truck.

whyme

check that you are getting power to the three lever switch, then check at the TS.

also just curious, do your black out lights work?

mightymanx

Obviously power to 3 lever switch. Head, blackout, tail lights work. 3 Lever provides power to stop light switch.

Might try the wires as well if it is getting in to the non simple.

Take a multimeter ensure there is no power to the light circut and do a resistance check from positive to negative through the entire circut. this will tell you if there is a break in the line. it should read some resistance for the wire,bulbs sockets etc. but it should definatly not read infinity.

If you have a meter with the beep function you leave it hooked up and start wiggling likley spots Grounds etc. this will tell you if the wires are good.

If no beep function you have to have someone watch the meter while you crawl all over the truck wiggling stuff.

electraman

I have a simular problem...

My blinkers work when the want too... Sometimes they work when I engage the colum switch and sometime they dont. When they don't they may turn on several minutes later...Any ideas???

danny81

My blinkers work when the want too... Sometimes they work when I engage the colum switch and sometime they dont. When they don't they may turn on several minutes later...Any ideas???
Sounds like the ground wire on the signal flasher assembly may have a bad connection.

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this sounds strange, but, check the wires at the cannon plug to the turn indicator switch. These wires can cause all sorts of electrical issues. I had similiar issues a few years ago and a short to ground caused problems with the brake lights and turn indicators.

davidkroberts

ive had a similar problem it tended up being the screw in connection where the wiring harness goes through the firewall. I cant remember exactly where it is but it ended up just being a bad connection. My headlights werent working either though.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cbvet, any success yet? Do you have a new 3 lever switch you could swap out, and see if that solves your issue?

cbvet

No DH, I've been working a lot & haven't had time to work on it more.
I did get an enlarged copy of the wiring schematic printed today, so that will help.
I was going to try the switch from my other Deuce, then discovered it had problems too.
I may try the switch from the 5 ton, as long as my wife isn't watching. She considers the M813 to be "her" truck. What the heck. She did pay for it.
Next parade is Sunday. I may get a chance to work on my lights if I get my buddy's M416 trailer painted early in the day.
I'll post when I come up with something.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks