• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No "WAIT" light - HELP! - Finally Fixed!

bigredlab

I have an '86 M1009.

The Blazer has been running like a top. Worked fine yesterday. This morning, the wait light wouldn't come on. (I live in So. Cal. Temp this morning was in the mid 50s).

The glow plugs, fuel filter, and injector pump were replaced in Dec.

Batteries were replaced in Oct. All leads are clean and tight.

Just did a complete oil change this last weekend.

All electrical connections appear to be connected and tight.

What could be wrong?

bigredlab

Re: RE: No "WAIT" light - HELP!

jag7720 said:
The light bulb in that socket?

Do you hear the glowplug relay clicking on and off?
No sound from the relay.

Couldn't find the section in the TM prior to posting. Found it now.

Going to check the fuses.

If it isn't the fuses, what do I use for a jumper wire and how would I ground it?

bigredlab

I don't think its the light.

I checked the fuses, they were fine.

I tried to go throught the TM troubleshooting steps, but it looks like the glow plug module is different from pictured. (it is a big white thing under the hood attached to the firewall)

When I turn on the ignition, I don't hear the glow plug relay turning on (and off) the glow plugs. The lights on the dash (except the wait light come on) but there is no sound whatsoever.

BTW, I have seen some descriptions of a 'black box' under the instrument panel (I guess that is where the glow plug controller module is), but there isn't one under the hood on mine.

Any ideas of what to do now?

JB

I think the black box you are referring to isinside teh cab just above the pedals it is @ 4x3x1 inches it pops open to reveal the glowplug controller card. Not sure what there is to look at unless the circuits are fried.

Goodluck

CCATLETT1984

No wait light, means the card is really messed up, the usual failure method is a transistor that controls the ground for the relay itself (ie the wait light will still work but not cycle the plugs). since you have no light, its something more major. Pull the card out and check for burn marks, then shove it back in and see if it works (could have come loose). but odds are something is burnt on the card and you will need to replace or bypass the card.

bigredlab

There doesn't seem to be a black box OR a controller card at all. It may already be bypassed.

Normally when the ignition switch is turned on, the WAIT light comes on then after a short time there is kind of a hum(like a dull winding down sound) then a click/clunk (and the WAIT light goes out). Now there is no sound whatsoever.

Could it possibly be the Glow plug switch towards the back of the engine?

CCATLETT1984

no, the controller card is tucked up under the dash. it may be way up there, you will see a blue wire coming from a grommet in the firewall under the dash near the pedals, follow it to the controller.

bigredlab

I found the controller card box. It had been 'relocated' to just the other side of the ash tray. Don't ask me. :roll:

I pulled the controller card. It looked fine. I used an eraser to 'clean' the contacts. I plugged it in and it worked!

However, this morning, it isn't working again.

Can someone describe in more detail how to do the manual bypass?

Or if someone has pictures of the process (or at least the result) that would be very helpful.

Also, where is the best place to get a controller card?

I have attached an image of the white module under the hood on the firewall

Attachments

mangus580

You have a civvy controller wired in there. All bets are off as to what your problem might be.

You might want to look in the tech article section for some info on how this controller 'should' be wired.

Somemedic

Cant he jumper the solenoid with a heavy gauge wire and make the solenoid work? All u would need is a jumper wire about 4in long and contact the terminal on the solenoid coming from the balast resistor to the other large terminal (I have a manual setup and not real sure what the oem solenoid looks like)?

If nothing else I would like to know if this got resolved and how.My "wait" lite used to come on but hasnt since I installed the bigger batts.

CCATLETT1984

the oem solenoid looks like a round can, has a large top/bottom lug and two small tabs on the front that trigger it.

I would recommend that you pull out one glow plug, to be sure if you have civilian plugs in the truck or not. Get the correct style relay that the truck should have:
(Borg Warner S 55)

The difference will be where you hook up the relay for power, if you have the regular military setup you will hook one large lug to the wire coming from the ballast resistor on the firewall, and the other large lug to the wires going to the glow plugs.

If you have civilian plugs, you will hook one large lug to a 10ga. wire coming from the positive terminal on the front battery and the other large lug to the wires going to the glow plugs

Regardless the wiring will be the same for both small terminals, one of the tabs must be hooked to an ignition on positive feed, the other you will hook to one side of your "push-button" switch (for manual glow plug operation). you will then attach a ground wire to the other terminal on your switch.

mangus580

My point above was, if he has what he pictured above, he has a newer style civillian CONTROLLER... not just a solenoid. Its really hard to say how its wired and should work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks