• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noise in ldt engine - wild thing gun truck

Recht71

The truck started making a loud howling noise when coming back from Willow Run Air Show in Aug. Sounded like a generator or turbo bearing but louder. We eliminated the Generator, water pump, air pump by removing the belts. The turbo checked out ok. Had to be the power steering pump? Pulled the radiator and took the pump off - it's ok. We have been using a stethoscope to pin point the noise. The noise was everywhere we listened. Looked at the harmonic balancer and definitely bad. The rubber in it was bad and it was completely loose. We had to take 2 of the 4 bolts out on the front mount on the block. Jacked up the engine and changed the harmonic balancer. We decided to change the oil. After pulling the front plug, found ball bearings in the oil bucket. Ended up there's an idler gear between the gear on the crank and the oil pump. We got the pan off which had lots of ball bearings, washers spring clips and stuff. The gear was still on the shaft flopping around. I don’t know how it didn’t tear up the gear on the pump and the crank. We have spare engine for parts. We had what we needed to fix it. Previously we have driven about 300 miles and the oil pressure never changed. Why it didn't do more damage is beyond me. Just thought I would share what Dar and I have been doing since Fri. at 9:30 am. We got it fired up Sat. at 6:00 pm. Today we’re putting the radiator and stuff back together today!! Randall Recht

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks