• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noise level for dogs?

Wick246

Is the Deuce loud enough to hurt my dogs if the ride in the back for camping trips? I have no idea how I could protect their hearing or make them wear intercomm headsets! :rolleyes: I will have to think of some way to keep them cool back there in this 100 deg. heat as well...

Deuce-bigalo

Wick246 said:
Is the Deuce loud enough to hurt my dogs if the ride in the back for camping trips? I have no idea how I could protect their hearing or make them wear intercomm headsets! :rolleyes: I will have to think of some way to keep them cool back there in this 100 deg. heat as well...
I am not sure I would put them in the back. Only (from Arizona experience) because the sun is intense and one of the facts you need to consider is the heat of the cargo bed. *IF* you have to put them back there, put something down which will not heat up from the sun beating down on the metal and from road heat -OR- goto a pet store and by a couple sets of those doggie booties which go over their paws to protect the pads from the hot surfaces such as sidewalks.

The only thing in regards to the hearing I can think of is you might consider cotton balls, I use those to clean my Akita's ears. Now, whether they don't bother them or try and scratch them out with their paws is another thing!

They are good points as I have a 5 month old yellow lab and a 13 yr old female Akita.

Just my [2cents] !!

Good luck either way!

John

Wick246

Thanks Deuce... For the heat I'm planning on a cargo cover and the dogs will be in an enclosure of some kind to keep them secured so hot metal or direct sun shouldn't be an issue. Airflow might be a problem though. Of course the last time I tried to put the big one in the enclosure (117 lbs.) she won and got to ride up front in the Ford. We both ended up with sore muscles from the epic struggle - should of had a video of that one!

Maybe running the exhaust out the back with a muffler will be best for me and the dogs...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Airflow in the back of a deuce with the cargo top is pretty decent. You can open the flap on both curtains or leave the back curtain tied up. Several times I've used the top without front or rear curtains. As long as you're moving a bit, airflow isn't a problem. As long as the bed floor is shaded, it won't get too hot. Cab floor gets much hotter. Gas pedal is probably the hottest thing in the cab. As far as bed tarps, I find the canvas ones to be hotter. As far as exhaust, maybe look into purchasing a non-turbo ride. They are much more quiet and the few that have the rear exit exhaust are extremely quiet.

Gatnom

This is a question I've wonderd about myself. My Lab is a constant companion. I've tried Ear plugs and cotton balls with no success. She shakes them out in seconds. I've thought about trying to get a set molded but don't know how I'd keep her still for 20 min to let them set up. As it is she seems content to ride sleeping on the pass. seat or rideing hanging out the passenger window with her head a foot from the stack, Turbo screaming! My 12 year old lab passed last september (the new one is just 7months) and hated my "M" trucks in her later years. I think the noise really started to get to her! Maybe we have a Veterinarian type here that has some thoughts? Dave

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just install a muffler? My mut as ridden 100's of miles in the bed. He likes to go to the drivers side of the bed at the front and stick his nose as far forward as he can. He's never tried to jump out, and i uaslly have to drag him out when we get somewhere.

n3uka

Been thinking this same thing for my lab. He loves the truck but I am afraid
to take him on long trips. Was planning on adding a muffler but hate to lose
the great sound. Now I know we will get some great ideas to help.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonder if the whistler is more noisy than the -1D turbo? I have driven long distances without any ear protection (=intecom head set) without too much discomfort.
Just adding the canvas top reduced the sound pressure level and I can imagine that a hard top could make a big difference.
Bet the noise on the floor level is much less than sitting up too. Make it comfy on the passenger side floor and give your dog a choice, sitting up or lying down.

Anybody used the N/A exhaust, which has a big muffler, with the turbo?

I understand that we (and the dog) can tolerate a lot more than what is good for us in the long run. Guess a vet could give you the best advise here.

Loose Deuce

My Dog loves to ride everywhere and as much as I let her. (BUT) She aint having nothing to do with that big noisy Truck. ha,ha. I cant put her in it when its not running, Once I put her in the cab and she ripped that semi rotten pass seat cover trying to get the hell out. [^] :roll: [:)] :roll:

rdixiemiller

I have noticed that the turbo scream is much more irritating now that I have installed a muffler. I am going to swap on a 1-D turbo as soon as I get a few days off and see how I like it. If I can get rid of the whistle (scream!), I think the truck will be much more fun to drive any distance. My daughter (co-pilot) does not like the turbo whine. It hurts her ears.
Anyone have a source for just the turbo/manifold gasket?

ironhorsethegeneral

:lol: Try insulating the cab and engine compartment. We did the cab and it has made a big difference. The way we did it was covered some insulation with camo material and laid it on the floor and front firewall. We also laid some heavy mats over it to protect it. It has made a big difference. [thumbzup]
Our dogs love to ride in our truck. :p

Desert Rat

With all the insulation from Uniseal we have, Ken and I are making plans to create an insulation kit for the Deuce, adhesion and all. His truck is the prototype and mine is the "kit" install. The insulation holds much promise, just like the muffler. My hope is to have all this done, covered with re-cut and re-stitched fabric from the extra tents we have that are cut or torn, paneled and ready for A/C by next spring. Now talk about comfy travel and noise levels for that big swweeeetie!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks