• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noise reduction: soft-vs-hard tops

L1A1

Deuce jockys,
I was wondering about this, and thought "there's no better group to ask" so here it is: Does the hard top on an M35 really reduce the noise inside the cab all that much compared to a soft top? how about the insulated soft tops?

Regards,
Matt

FormerNewMVGuy

Well i have all three style tops on three different trucks , Insulated soft, canvas,and hardtop, They all sound the same to me, maybe a liitle difference on the hard top , but not much

Barrman

It is all kind of relative. Since sound is actually a wave that bounces around, think of throwing a super ball around inside your truck. The less solid stuff it hits, the less it bounces. So, for drive train noises, a soft top or hard top with insulation will be best.

Then you have the exhaust just outside the cab. An insulated hard top is again the best since the bouncing ball can't get through to the inside because of the hard metal and the insulation keeps the ball hitting the metal noise down some too.

Wind noise to me seems about the same no matter the top. The big West Coast mirrors are a big contributor to wind noise compared to the smaller Elephant ears and down right tiny rectangular ones my Gasser has. That noise comes through the glass in the windows and doesn't really matter what top is on. If you have ever had a soft top come loose behind the cab while at speed, you will know what real noise is by the way. Once you get your pulse under control that is.

I only have a 1000 miles or so in M35 soft tops and hard tops. I like the hard top for noise and all weather use. But, those hard tops are heavy. Basically too heavy for one person to install or remove without scrathing stuff up. Part of the fun of these trucks is the convertible factor. A soft top wins hands down for ease of converting over for parades or just fall days in the sun driving.

But, here I sit 24-36 hours from a hurricane possibly being parked on top of my house and I just came in from prepping the Duece for possible rescue ops and I never once thought about my protection from the weather because I have the big heavy metal hard top on there.

Just trying to point out as many different angles on the tops as I can.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO, the hard top is like an echo chamber however it cuts down on exhaust noise. Canvas is loudest by far. I prefer the vinyl but your mileage may vary. FWIW, I've obtained quite a few hard top trucks in my life, I've never sold one! Every hard top I've ever got, was removed and bartered or scrapped.

ygmir

my hard top made a huge difference.
But, it has the stick on foam insulation for the arctic kit, I'm sure that is the biggest part......

saddamsnightmare

September 12th, 2008.

My deuce came from BulldogMack 13 with the cold weather hard top (steel) with the thin masonite lining (stock), and it was a fairly good top, but noisy, like a resonator.... I put a GMA insulated soft top on her this summer, it's much cooler on 104*F days, seems warmer in cooler weather, and seems to resonate less.... plus you can take it off with less then two men or one Marine..... Noisy??? Deuces are just plain deafening....! I may leave the soft top on all winter! Stealing the thread... Are 5 tons less noisy with the stack behind the cab (mine has a straight stack with butterfly on top... really p---ses the car drivers off about 4 back when the soot lands!

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan rofl

N.B. With the top off... great convertible, no shade, great view....Stack talk is enough to make the guy in the souped Mustang envious....!!!!!!!!!

L1A1

saddamsnightmare said:
September 12th, 2008.

Stealing the thread... Are 5 tons less noisy with the stack behind the cab (mine has a straight stack with butterfly on top

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan rofl
Hey! who stole my thread??!! :shock: I knew I should have locked it! :) Actually, Your above post was something I was going to post over in the 5 ton section. I guess deep down inside, I'm still comparing the two trucks. BTW, thanks for your imput.
Matt

L1A1

DJs (hey, it's easier than "Deuce Jockys")

Thanks for all your replies and insites on this topic. I've only riden in two M35s (both MadDawg308's trucks) and both trucks had soft tops on 'em. On one occation, we took all the canvas off of the one rig and ran it like that. Like some of you, I too prefer a "big green" convertiable to a hard top truck anyday but then again, I live in VA and not outside the Artic circle :wink:. Most of my experiance with MVs has been with the smaller, 1/4- 1 ton stuff and I almost always ran that stuff sans canvas and (sometimes) with the windshield folded (proper eye protection worn). On an unrelated (to this thread) note, I'd like to say that those are some very nice M715s in your avatars, guys 8) . I'm working on some more M35 related questions and I'll post 'em as soon as I can organize my scattered thoughts.
Regards,
Matt

L1A1

jim-m35a2 said:
It doesn't matter what type of top you have. Be it a hardtop, softtop or windshield down, when it rains you will get the same amout of water in your face. :(
Welcome to the wonderful world of antique military vehicles :? :wink:
Regards,
Matt

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is why you always keep wiping rags in a dry place you are the driver and defroster too. I have a hard top on my M818 and it was not bad for our 1,200 mile recovery trip the duece with soft top is not bad either but then I have an H3 hearing profile too so the damage was done long ago. Keep it from happening to you and wear ear muff hearing protection while driving. I like my noise reduction set because you can still hear people talk.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
jim-m35a2 said:
It doesn't matter what type of top you have. Be it a hardtop, softtop or windshield down, when it rains you will get the same amount of water in your face. :(
This is why I say that even though the deuce was a marvel of engineering design, they dropped the ball in just one area. It should have had wipers on the inside too!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard top: loud.
Soft top: LOUD!
No top: OWWWWWW!

Long term effects:

Hard top: "Speak up."
Soft top: "What?"
No top: "Hold on, I have to take these bandages off my ears to hear you."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks