• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noisy transmision solved

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was doing some heavy hauling with the M35 and trailer when the transmission started making noise. It started in 5th, and by the time I was done the only quiet gear was 4th. Lot of fun driving 30,000lbs with 4th high and 4th low.

So finally pulled truck in garage to tear it down. Everything looked nice with the cover off, and no pieces of metal in the bottom. Pulled the main shaft while in the truck, nothing there. So dropped the transmission, pulled the input shaft, and found the cage for the input bearing had disintegrated. Luckily none of the pieces made it back to the inside of the transmission. So looks like replace bearing and I should be back on the road. Might do the main seal while I am here.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I figured since I have been told I would be helping fix it that I could take part in the conversation! He'll just have to make sure someone else puts the oil drain plugs in.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you miss the thread yesterday, where Gimp did an oil change(and turbo) on I 75?

Half the oil change, he didn't even pull over for!

spicergear

I have a picture posted on here somewhere with a front bearing failure that I had to drive about 30mi on to get it home. Yep, 4th gear was the only gear being 1:1 that was semi-quite as that wasn't trying to push the gears apart. Momentum and timing are your friend when driving an 18,000 truck (my crane truck) with one gear. :mrgreen:

That was the transmission that was full of water when I got the truck and still lasted me like 8 years!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roadside wheelbearing changes, roadside turbo changes, roadisde oil changes...... We should pave you a short section of road in your yard so when working on the truck, you will feel right at home. Maybe a slight incline in the dirt beside the drive so that you can tip the truck to access the bottom too.

"Honest Gimpy's Pre-rolled MVs" Tell your friends fantastic roll over stories at no personal risk with vehicles bought at "Honest Gimpy's"

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that was a derailment of a thread! Now I need to pull a bearing out of the spare tranny, and put it all together.

M108 is resting in the pole barn, it has yet to move. Been gathering some parts. I would love to fix it, but house, cars, and garage keep getting in the way. Maybe after Haspin.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that was a derailment of a thread! Now I need to pull a bearing out of the spare tranny, and put it all together.

M108 is resting in the pole barn, it has yet to move. Been gathering some parts. I would love to fix it, but house, cars, and garage keep getting in the way. Maybe after Haspin.
There are parts you need that Gimpy doesn't have?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really need to get the heads pulled, and see if the bore is trashed. I'm thinking it is. We have gimpy's wrecker LDS with the bad crank, and I have a white with loose head bolts in unknown condition. Also a set of LDS piston's/sleeves. Between the three motors should get something good.

I would really like to get the original engine up and running, it was a new engine when installed, and had great oil pressure. Or take the LDS or white apart and fix.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a crank to put in the LDS at Stretch's, I think that would be the easiest route. Time to start ripping motors apart!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks