• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non-Detergent Motor Oil???

dieselolds

If the oil gets to thick to flow in the filter, maybe you need even thinner oil LOLroflThe Norwegian Dodge WC manual tells you to use 10W oil down to -20C and from -20C to -35C you have to mix the oil with diesel or gas. Below -35C you have to remove the oil filter element.
Non detergent oil leaves dirt everywhere in the engine and wears it out.

The Norwegian army did mount a courtain in front of the radiator to keep the heat inside the engine compartment and not blow right out.

John

Nickathome

As I understand the "By-Pass" filtering system, all of the oil gets filtered some of the time, and some of the oil gets filtered all of the time. At least that's how my coconut interprets it. As such the by-pass filters can tend to be made of finer material than a modern flow through filter, whereas large amounts of oil must pass through the flow through filter all of the time to allow adequate protection of the engine. That said, I do not agree that non-rebuilt engines should only use non-detergent oil. If you regularly change your oil and filter and take down the pan on occasion and clean out the crud, the by-pass system will still remove enough of the problem crud to keep the engine safe.

I too agree with JasonS when he says you are making more of this than needs to be done. Today's oils do a far better job of breaking down and removing the crud and keep it from caking up on the walls of your engine or clogging the little ports that need to be free and open, etc. The filtration system is more than adequate for trapping the particles of crud and removing them from the equation. My truck's engine has not been rebuilt and I have been running multi- vis full detergent type oils since I've owned it, and I have not experienced any problems. I change the oil and filter regularly(which reminds me its time to do so again).

Personally, non-detergent oils these days (if you can even find it)are for some old cheap lawn mower or roto tiller that nobody cares about anyway.....

Last edited: