• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non directional tires on a civilian Jeep

Whitey

Tire tech has definitely improved since the NDT & NDTCC were conceived. My limited experience with the aforementioned tires would make me consider it a tire for off-road or fun, pleasure drives only. On the other hand, I know of people using an M37 as a daily driver and they were just fine. My guess is speed, rain and wear are the main downsides. Overcome those and have fun! :beer:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
If you are crazy enough to want NDT/ NDCC on a YJ:wink:, you might want to look into Interco tires I am pretty sure they make some of their TSLs and trxsMTs in that small a tire. What ever you do stay away from the thornbirds.

plym49

I use these 31-10.50R15-GUARD-DOG-M-T - Retread Tires from TreadWright, Inc.
and they have been fantastic. They last like iron take very little to balance and look great. At 89.00 each for an aggressive mud tire you can't beat them. I run them on everything I have (dodge diesel 4x4 & jeep rubicon) and have nothing but praise.
That's a really interesting suggestion. I like the way they look. But I have always been a'scared of a retread - horror stories of tread separation abound. Would you hesitate to run them cross-country (planning a trip out west next year)?

plym49

If you are crazy enough to want NDT/ NDCC on a YJ:wink:, you might want to look into Interco tires I am pretty sure they make some of their TSLs and trxsMTs in that small a tire. What ever you do stay away from the thornbirds.
I'll check them out; had not heard of them.

rdsar2k

I have them on my my rigs and I am absolutely confident of them. They use the same process as when they were made originally. The cores are all matched and they wear very well. I have taken vacation trips with them, aired down and wheeled very rough terrain have never had any problems. And no I don't work for them or sell them, just a satisfied user. This is not a recap process like the old days, it's a new process that they take pride in. Every time I bring this up there is nay sayers that bad mouth them but I have never heard of a user having issues. The nay sayers are the people who remember the old school recaps.

plym49

I have them on my my rigs and I am absolutely confident of them. They use the same process as when they were made originally. The cores are all matched and they wear very well. I have taken vacation trips with them, aired down and wheeled very rough terrain have never had any problems. And no I don't work for them or sell them, just a satisfied user. This is not a recap process like the old days, it's a new process that they take pride in. Every time I bring this up there is nay sayers that bad mouth them but I have never heard of a user having issues. The nay sayers are the people who remember the old school recaps.
Well, the price is sure right. Do you know anything about this new recap process?

And these are radials, yes?

Last edited:

Alredneck

Banned
A Bias tire will not perform near as well as a Radial

NDT have no sipping which is where newer tires get there wet ice traction from. Sipping could be added to a NDT but you would need a grooving iron ( can be done with a plain box cutter but more work ) but would require a good bit of time for all for tires.

Mileage, NDTs dont last hat long but if your daily drivng equals to the store and back then they may last awhile. If it requires frequent highway use for long distances at a time then a newer radial will last way longer. Its really a matter of how far you drive versus cost per tire.

Super Swamper ( Interco ) makes a LTB that comes in the size you are looking for. It would be a good offroad tire but on road would be noisy and not last as long as other radials mud grips or all terrains.

BF Goodrich make some of the longest lasting on/offroad tire on the market but come with a price.

Look at miles a year used, on road time versus off road time, cost, and personal preference. Then go from there. Debating what tire is best is shenanigans! There are lots of good one out there for one thing and a few out there for being good at multiple things![thumbzup]

plym49

A Bias tire will not perform near as well as a Radial

NDT have no sipping which is where newer tires get there wet ice traction from. Sipping could be added to a NDT but you would need a grooving iron ( can be done with a plain box cutter but more work ) but would require a good bit of time for all for tires.

Mileage, NDTs dont last hat long but if your daily drivng equals to the store and back then they may last awhile. If it requires frequent highway use for long distances at a time then a newer radial will last way longer. Its really a matter of how far you drive versus cost per tire.

Super Swamper ( Interco ) makes a LTB that comes in the size you are looking for. It would be a good offroad tire but on road would be noisy and not last as long as other radials mud grips or all terrains.

BF Goodrich make some of the longest lasting on/offroad tire on the market but come with a price.

Look at miles a year used, on road time versus off road time, cost, and personal preference. Then go from there. Debating what tire is best is shenanigans! There are lots of good one out there for one thing and a few out there for being good at multiple things![thumbzup]
Yes, Bridgestome makes some good tires and I have gone through many sets of them on my 4x4 daily driver over 20 years.

At this point it does not look like I will be using NDT tires, for all of the reasons cited.

Some good options have been suggested so far: General, Interco and the retreads. I'm looking into all of them.

Pricewise, the retreads are looking prettty good.

plym49

I ended up getting Bridgestone Dueler A/V tires. I got a good price, I like the looks of the tread pattern, and I have been very happy with their performance in snow and on ice. They are even pretty quiet on the highway - I recently did a round trip to Vermont.

Thanks for all of the advice and ideas, as it helped me zero in on something decent.

bridgestone dueler.jpeg

Of course, I mounted them with the white letters in. :)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks