• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

non-M37 Replacement Fuel Tanks?

SteveKuhn

My gas tank has too much rust in it. I'm going to clean it out and I can also have it relined or purchase one. However, on G741 I read of several guys who've used modern ones from Econolines, Broncos, S-10 Blazers, etc. Those are about 20% of the cost bought new and could let me resolve a problem and push and expense down the road.

I'm wondering if anyone over here has taken this route, what they used, and how it worked for them.

Thanks.

Steve

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been told that the S10 tank is a drop in. However, my tank just had one hole, so it is repairable.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two M101 trailer fuel tanks, for M101 trailers with generators set up in them. They have been cleaned and repaired. they are basically the same tank, however the pickup flange is different, and both it and the sender are in a different location than right under the access panal in the bed. Otherwise they are a direct replacement fit and strap wise.

John is right, I believe mid-1980's fuel tanks fit in the spot ok.

stoney_bogg

4 Wheel & Off Road Magazine did a 1965 M37 article called the Dumpster in March 2011 and used a S-10 BLAZER fuel tank as a replacement and only required a neck extension- Article had pictures and info. Said it was a close drop in application.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
S-10 tank was used to 'fix' a local M-37. The main problem they had with it is that the original straps holding the new tank were too short and they had to use some replacement straps. Done in two hours, with four trips to the auto parts store for items needed (IE about half an hour of actually working). I was not there when they did it but did watch the last few minutes when they were installing the filler neck (the fourth trip involved going back for a hose clamp).

SteveKuhn

I appreciate all the comments so far. G741 referenced the 4 Wheel M37 but it took some digging to get the URL with more info about the fuel tank install:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/projectbuild/131_1105_1965_dodge_m37_the_dumpster/

They changed straps and modified the filler but also cut the bed to give top access to the in-tank fuel pump. I wouldn't do that.

I need to find out if I can reuse the M37 tank cover/line connection plate on that tank or if I can use the S-10 to connect the M37 lines. I prefer an in-line fuel pump and I've located several other tank mfrs on the Internet for the S-10, perhaps sans pump.

Steve