• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non "Made In China" parts list.

richter1978

I just had an idea for a list of all known non- "Made In China" parts. I hate having to hunt around town every time I need to replace something. I am always finding references in threads to a part that someone found that wasn't made in china, but rarely do I write it down or remember which thread it was. Anyway, maybe someone could set up a sticky that we could post our finds to, or maybe just use this thread. Either way I think it would be a useful resource.

Tanner

Not all items 'made in China' are crap... depends on the quality control process used in manufacturing the items.

'Tanner'

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not all items 'made in China' are crap... depends on the quality control process used in manufacturing the items. 'Tanner'
I agree - not everything made in China is bad. However, I prefer to use NOS parts or new U.S. manufactured parts to support American manufactured parts. Otherwise everything will be imported.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is getting tougher and tougher to find non China parts for ANY vehicle. Cummins had a stance a while back that they would not sell to or use a component that was made there, guess that's changed 'cause there sure are alot of components that proudly display "China" cast into them on new parts.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is getting tougher and tougher to find non China parts for ANY vehicle. Cummins had a stance a while back that they would not sell to or use a component that was made there, guess that's changed 'cause there sure are alot of components that proudly display "China" cast into them on new parts.

Even the majority of parts Harley-Davidson uses are made overseas they just bolt them together here anymore.

ODdave

I had a dvd player that was made here in Michigan.....Thing lasted about a month. As said, not all imported stuff is crap, you just need to be able to judge for yourself. We use a lot of "economy line" parts at work simply because people can not afford premium stuff. Belive it or not the failiure rates are low and almost always have more to do with the install and matinance of the part than the actual part construction.

Heath_h49008

Like Dave said... we sold a LOT of chinese parts. Was the failure rate high? It was worse 10 years ago. Now, I would have to say it's liveable. As we become more automated, the quality of a chinese production robot running a program will be about as good as an American robot running the same program.

If you want to be able to buy "Made in the USA" parts and products again, you are going to have to eliminate the IRS, Federal Reserve, Labor Unions, the EPA, trial lawyers, and every woman in your family that complains about factory smells when she's old, or "Environmental risks" when she's young.

I'm not holding out much hope.

Tanner

Cummins has long had mfg ties to components & the B-series engine... castings, etc.

'Tanner'

dozer1

This looks like a good place to start looking. Made in the USA Auto Parts and Supplies This can be done despite the IRS, Federal Reserve, Labor Unions, the EPA, trial lawyers, and every woman in your family that complains about factory smells when she's old, or "Environmental risks" when she's young. It takes effort and time though. Hence the OP's idea for a non made in china parts list when somebody DOES find something.

Should it ever materialize, I will be checking it out and adding to it when I can. I buy alot of John Deere parts to maintain my farm equipment. Sometimes I will get something from Deere and find out that it is made in the USA. If the machine has more of them, sometimes I will change them all as a preventative maintenance procedure because they are made in USA.

Example. I changed a lower gathering chain idler sprocket on my corn head last fall. Seen "made in USA" stamped on it. Turns out they were made by Idler Sprockets, Idler Pulleys, Precision Idler Pulleys, Ball Thrust Bearings: Aetna Bearing Company: Franklin Park, IL . I proceded to replace all 12 of them instead of just the one real bad one I found. Turned out 4 of them were pretty bad. Not saying everyone should just buy stuff they dont need because it is made in USA, just saying that there is products out there even tho they can be quite hard to find.

Heath_h49008

Here is a question then:
How much more are you willing to pay?

Is it worth it to you to track down and buy the USA part for +20%, sure. +50%? 100%?

For bearings and such from major parts houses, you will be getting some mexican, chinese, taiwanese, parts and a few USA. Seals and gaskets are often Israeli... oddly enough... as well as mexican/chinese with some American.

If it really matters, I suppose you could track down American ones and stockpile, but if you are asking what parts house carries "Made in the USA" or what major brand that would be... the answer is "None." Federal Mogul, for instance, is just a name kinda like Nike. Their parts are made by the lowest bidder. Some were old FM plants, most aren't. That one company controls..

Federal-Mogul Brands

STEP 1: Choose a Brand

Abex®
AE®
ANCO®
Atlas®
Bentley-Harris®
Beral®
Carter®
Champion®
DURON®

Fel-Pro®
Ferodo®
FP Diesel®
Glyco®
Goetze®
Metafram®
Moog®
National®
Necto®

Nüral®
Payen®
Poral®
Precision®
Sealed Power®
Speed-Pro®
Wagner® Brake
Products
Wagner® Lighting
... as well as house brands for everyone from NAPA to AutoZone.

If you want to be certain you are getting high quality American made products, you have quite a task ahead of you. You will need to open every box and read the markings (If they are even true... ask an aircraft parts man sometime)

Or, you can find a few smaller manufacturers and hope they produce what you need.

I'm an ASE Certified Partsman. I've been in the industry for over 15 years as a tech and counterman. I know what I'm talking about.

The SOP these days is, "Who cares if it's junk? The car or truck it's going on might not be around long enough for this to fail anyway, and if it does, we swap it out under warranty."

Yes, it really is that bad in the industry. Aircraft parts suppliers may be a different story. Some heavy industrial suppliers might still have standards. In the automotive market, there is a quality shortage on the aftermarket side.

Buy the best you can and keep spares handy.

topgun217

Amazing how the U.S. says it won WWII.......Who really won in the long run...Japan! They own a heck of alot here. I'm a firm believer that all Americans have to support ourselves first and feel that companies like GE should have major tariffs placed on their products that have moved from the USA to China and other countries which have cost US jobs!

I do think the main idea of this thread is a good idea !

Ripcord01

I recently discovered that American products are very expensive compared to things made overseas. No real surprise. I was looking to buy my wife a few new work outfits and decided to do a search for the Companies that make Dresses and such here on the states. I was very disapointed. once yuo read all the fine print you will find out that the materials and dyes, ects are mostly purchased from China. Eagle outfitters was a store I choose to complete the purchases.

dozer1

OK, I understand how hard it is (sometimes impossible) to find made in USA parts. This thread is about CUCVs sooo, since I don't have a cucv, I would like to hear some input from those who do.

What are your top 5 commonly used parts?

Ever find any American made ones?

I would just like to give it a try looking for them online myself. There may not be any USA made choices, I just don't know without looking.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About five years ago, I helped set up a manufacturing plant in China for the company I worked for. One of my tasks was to purchase a very large assortment of hand tools for use in the factory. I was given a mandate by the Chinese management in the plant that I was to only procure tools made in the USA or western europe. No Chinese tools were permitted because they believed them to be junk. That was one hard project. Many of the tools were essentially unavailable made in the USA. I had to rely to a great extent on Swedish and German tools.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks