• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non Military trailer cover

harleyhouse

I wanted a cover for my M101A2 to keep my camping gear dry in transit .
I checked the local awning and semi cover companies and got price quotes close to $400.00 to make a cover.

I could not justify $400.00 for a cover for a $500.00 trailer
I checked the internet and found Mytarp.com called them and they suggested
what they called a machine cover.

Machine Covers - Five-Sided Snug-Fitting Tarps

I gave them my measurements and they made the cover for less than $100.00
It is black 10 OZ. Vinyl reinforced corners, sewn edges and grommets every 12 inches and corners.

I am happy with the service and cover.
Now I need to make some bows to hold the cover up and shed water.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like it. That's cool. I'm interested to see what you have planned for bows.

3dAngus

I like it. How much was the shipping. Hopefully he will remember it and others can buy the same thing, where measurements don't have to be made again. Are you perfectly happy with the fit? Would you do anything different?

harleyhouse

$93.00 for the cover and $11.00 for shipping.
it is heavy so the shipping cost was OK.
I did want silver grommets used and talked to Travis about it when I ordered it.
The cover arrived with brass grommets which is fine.

I ordered it 71" x 101" x 4" deep they made it 1" longer per side.
When I thread the rope through and cinch it tight it will take up the extra.
I would order from them again.

They also carry other colors too!

Attachments

Last edited:

Ressoldier

"They also carry other colors too!"

I am glad you did not go with Red to match your trailer. The reds fade really bad in my experience from long haul. The black cover with the black frame looks sharp. I can't wait to pick mine up and start doing the clean-up. Yours is giving me hope on just how good these can look.

MIhunter

I am in the same boat as you. I took my original bow and cover off, but am looking for a shorter canvas. I am not going to go flat like yours though. I chopped my bow to 1/4 of the original height and plan to put a canvas over that.

JFMickey_D

Wow, that is sharp!!

I know what I'm going to do with mine now. I was going to go with a custom home made one, but for $100 it isn't worth the trouble for me to screw it up 5 times. :beer:

harleyhouse

Making bows and lashing it down.

I have been kicking around some ideas for bows for the trailer and made some prototypes from pine. I cut a 3/4 x 1 7/8" x 69" piece that fits in the pocket recess well.
It required a curf on the underside to drop flush with the trailer lip.

I made 5 of these flat pine bows as a tempory for keeping water from pooling on top of the cover. I have ordered 5 pieces of 1" x 2" x 96" aluminum hollow stock from a distributor at work.

At work we have a rolling machine that will curve the aluminum and make a slight bow.
I will run the material through the rolling machine and make 5 matching bows
with the correct length and add the curf under to drop into the pocket.

I was at Target and spotted a spool of nylon camping rope that has a cool red, black, white pattern. Perfect match for the trailer.

I added the tempory bows and threaded the rope through the grommets and cinched the cover down using the original tie down hooks. Simple on and off and it keeps the cargo dry.

Here is the tarp progress:

Attachments

koolex11

Hey Harley, I found these replacement Monster Bows for tonneau covers. They may work for you. I didn't spent the time to find the best deal, but they may be cheaper for a set of 3 or 5...

connordanny

That cover looks sharp!

In my old Jeep I took a piece of 3/4" or 1" PVC and ran it under the bikini top to keep it propped up. I just cut it a few inches long so that it would arch up.

It sounds like you are on the right track with the aluminum bows though.

jayb1127

Im sorry from bringing this back from the dead, but I'm looking to take my 5x10 utility trailer and make a cover for it, similar to what the military trailers have originally. I haul ATVs and equipment a good bit, but my Mobile DJ business has expanded past the room in my jeep and minivan. So...this is an option Im looking into, and the OP gave me the perfect idea for the cover, now I need to build the ribs. I planned on doing 1ft or 18'' hollow tubes in the floor and bending tubing to make the ribs, or using fittings to get the shape. This was they can slide into the hollow tubes welded in, and once the tarp/canvas is strapped down it will hold the ribs in. This is where I need help, Id like to think I can make a frame out of PVC, but Im worried it wont be strong enough. Any Ideas to reinforce the PVC, maybe connecting all 5 of the ribs. Im also game to use metal for the ribs, I dont want to get into more than $150 building them. I have acess to toll to bend the tubing, but no idea what type would be best structurally and cheap. Thanks guys for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks