• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non-original paint colors/schemes

toyotechwv

Just wondering if anyone has chosen to stray from the original paint scheme on their deuce and if so some pics would be great. Also, I guess I should have asked this first, is it frowned upon to paint the truck in a manner other than original??

gunboy1656

there have been alot of trucks stray from the original paint scheme. cant remember the thread but there is one on here thats a blue camo.

as for you second question depends on who you ask, if your asking a purist then yes. but someone who is not will say paint it how you want it.

nhdiesel

I'm not a purist, but here are my feelings. Its your truck, do whatever you want. Personally I wouldn't even encourage someone to keep it original, because these aren't super rare vehicles, and paint color isn't going to really affect the value. I personally am very impressed with some of the original trucks people have, but there are so many uses for a Deuce in the civilian world that they get changed. And even if you DO change the color, it could always be changed back if someone wanted to put it back to original.

I'm surprised when I see threads about color. I think people get more worked up over changing colors than doing a permanent mod, like bobbing or extending the cab.

There are some antique and rare vehicles that I feel very strongly SHOULD be returned, or kept, to original. A WWII Jeep, and old M37, and away from military- many antique and classic cars. I stopped watching the TV show American Hot Rod after seeing them tear apart and destroy too many valuable vehicles. To name a few, an old Mustang GT from the 60's, a nice antique, restored pickup that they decided to make into a "rat rod", and an old man's classic car (can't remember what it was) that they tore apart, including major body mods.

Jim

toyotechwv

Thanks for the replies, kinda what I figured. And I agree some vehicles should absolutely remain or keep to their original look. I'm thinking of painting mine either flat black or urban camo with The Punisher skull on each door.:twisted:

SasquatchSanta

I think it should be a capital crime to change the color of a deuce.

rofl

Sorry guys --- sometimes I just can't help myself.

On a serious note --- it's your truck, paint it what you like.

Just make sure it's YOUR truck. I doubt if your local national guard would appreciate someone sneaking in to their motor pool parking lot and painting their trucks a prettty titty pink :-x

Attachments

comanderfritz

Somebody, somewhere, has surely painted a Deuce in team colors for tailgating, right?

the Kentucky Army Rangers ROTC group over here has one. they painted University of Kentucky UK symbols big on the doors. Ive used mine for tailgating already just didn't feel it necessary to paint it wildcat blue just yet. it really would not surprise me at all if someone did though.

Carl_in_NH

The long discussions over paint color and scheme don't really surprise me all that much. I think it's really human nature - since color / paint is the most obvious feature of any vehicle, whether the person observing is well versed in MVs or not.

I'm an electronics engineer - and some of the longest, most spirited engineering discussions we have when creating a product are about the location, color, and function of the LEDs and displays on the front of the product. There are major architectural discussions that are settled in the time it takes just to get the people interested in the LEDs in the room. It borders on silliness - but it happens all the time, and in almost every company. What we see and the first impression the item presents is important to a lot of people, and trucks are no different.

As for me, I think a retired MV requires a little dignity in it's paint job - so it's likely solid OD for me, although you might want to ask when I'm prepping for paint in the spring. I might have changed my mind by then.

GoHot229

I'v got the Deuce sanded and ready for paint. Now the decision on what to paint????????? Ok, I'll admit I'm Blond so that goes in the mix too. But apreciating Bobbers, though not wanting one for me, at least out of my first Deuce, I'm torn between three schemes.... Of-course the Vietnam era, of which I was part, or the Camo patern, then finnaly the Desert Tan. My Deuce is a 1972 year model so it could feesably go with the Vietnam era, as we (I) was there until 72, but thats starting to loose authenticity leaning twards Camo which is more likely to have been its first colors initally. Desert Tan is on the unit, about two coats down and along the rear of the cab, indicating it was likely to be in Desert Storm. OK.... recently I'v seen some 'way bichin' examples of OD Green Vietnam Era /w white stars and lettering and all......way outstanding to be sure, but heres where the rubber meets the road..... I'm torn between Camo and Tan.....told you I was blond lol..... I'm going to stay purist here, infact I'll probably re-mount the pioneer rack and get the tools for it, and re-install the jerry can mount on the driver step so as to be 'completly stock' , still the Delema ...Camo or Tan? I'm somewhat leaning tward Camo, but Tan could look real good too......what to do... what to do..... Does Tan come out looking very good on the Deuce in you guys opinions I mean not like an after thought? my thinking here with Tan is an easy 'touch-up' in the future, of-course , so is Camo. I kind of like the Tan, and would go with Tan and Black accesories ie. the wheels mabe a frame part or two, not sure exactly what, but just a bit of contrast. I really am strugeling with this one. As we all know, its a hassel to get down to 'paintable' in that theres a bit, oh heak, a bunch of prep to get to paintable...(AND LOOK GOOD) and here I am.... mabe a couple of you guys have a pic or two of Tan units you could post 'cause I'm ready...... Then throw in the mix......I'm also thinking that the final outcome of color must be something that on the road would claim the least attention, if that's possable, just driving throught town and state without GRABING attention.....for that I think Tan would be the ticket..........simply because of its current applications in Iraq and such, lots of em seen on the interstate....not much attention paid, If you can sey that.................................I think I'll cut my hair lol lol lol

bkwudzhom

Paint it black,orange, or purple if ya want, it's yours. I think we do what we want and dont worry about what others think. If they dont like it tell them to put their $ where their mouth is and send you a check!:-D

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
The blue camo deuce is mine. Just got back from the GA rally and everybody seemed to like it. wreckerman said "At first I didn't care for it but it grows on you, kinda like fungus" lol. here's a few pics

Attachments

Last edited:

shannondeese

I am starting the paint transformation on my freshly bobbed deuce on the 7th of Nov. I am going to paint it to match my F350. Marine Pattern Desert Digital. The only change to the norm will be the #13 in each door. My race number. As for painting your Deuce paint it whatever you want. It's your truck.

unclemikey

It's a DEUCE.......It can do anything! If you can paint it, it can always be painted again. As long as you don't start to chop it up. I don't mean a bob job..... I mean CHOP IT UP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks