• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non swelling glow plugs no longer available

DocThrock

According to Kascar there aren't glow plugs any more that are marketed as non-swelling. Perhaps this is old news or wrong, but as a newbie to diesels, I thought I'd try to save some poor sole reading through old threads and then searching for them. Perhaps there are less swelling brands. I would welcome reviews and recommendations.

As a side note you evidently can't trust Kascar's inventory count on their website, they are short term out of glow plugs. Hopefully my order will ship early next week.

papakb

The 60Gs require a connector change from round bullet to blade. I just Googled non swelling glow plugs and there are several sites that offer them. Amazon has Wellman direct replacements with bullet pins available and might be the fastest way to get some if you need them right away, and they're not outrageously priced.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And let me add.p, I've been using Kascar plugs for years, as well as AC15G's...they too will burst and swell.
i use military issue plugs....

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Just went down his road... again. One year ago, E Site purchase at 70 bucks for AC-15G's for the HumV, 24V. Figured it should be good product as I use the AC-60G's 12V from the "Zone" in all the CUCV's and never had a bad one in years of service NEVER. I always check them on the bench. The E Site AC-15G's resistance in the ball park, 3.3 Ohms. Hit them with 24V red hot in 9 seconds @ 7.27 Amps. They were packaged in the little plan white boxes. Visual inspection to me looked a little funky with poor machine work and markings. Benched OK so put them it. A year later I begin to notice harder starting and less and less voltage drop on the dash voltmeter when cycling. BIG clue here.

The way I check them in truck, is to use my Fluke DC amp probe. Clamp it around the GP lead. A quick toggle to "RUN" measure the current and get off the switch with a helper. Go to the next one. Quick and easy. Six were open circuits, poof, blown.

Lucky me they all came out with no issues. Never had this type of failures and question the market with "import - knock off" Just installed some Diesel rx GP's. On the bench, 2.3 Ohms per plug and a bit higher current @ 10 amps. quicker heat time @ 7 seconds.

Starts right up at 24 degrees outside. All is good.

CAM

DocThrock

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad I got mine, it's really makes it easy to remove the plugs.
It's a real good tool to have for 100 bucks
Sorry about the bad info

papakb

Owens Export has been selling them forever too.

http://www.owens-export.com/

Whenever I've used this tool I always put a dab of anti-seize on the threads to keep it from binding. All it takes is a touch of it, it doesn't need to be completely coated. It's also a good idea to put a little anti-seize on the glow plug threads. I'm still using a can of Fel-Pro anti-seize I liberated from the Navy 40 years ago. LOL

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks