• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non turbo advice needed...

Pawnshop

I am going tomorrow (5 Nov) to recover my M109 from Ft. Sam and need some advice. The truck is a non turbo multi and I don't have any experience with them. Is there anything I should do different from my turbo M35A2? Anything I need to know before the trip? I AM looking forward to not having to wait 5 minutes for the turbo to warm up/cool down:)

thanks
Sam

jatonka

Non turbo advice needed

Hello, I think you will find the same power available whether you are running a turbo or non turbo Deuce, in your case, remember the M109 is heavier than a cargo. That will cost you felt power. You will never need to worry about failed turbo parts trashing your engine. You won't need to worry about broken turbo oil lines costing you an engine on a trip. The horsepower is 130 to 134 for either motor. Now, on the down side, a non turbo will probably smoke more than a turbo Deuce. I prefer the non turbos as they start better in Cold weather( 0 to -20F) for me. JT

vtdeucedriver

Hello, I think you will find the same power available whether you are running a turbo or non turbo Deuce, in your case, remember the M109 is heavier than a cargo. That will cost you felt power. You will never need to worry about failed turbo parts trashing your engine. You won't need to worry about broken turbo oil lines costing you an engine on a trip. The horsepower is 130 to 134 for either motor. Now, on the down side, a non turbo will probably smoke more than a turbo Deuce. I prefer the non turbos as they start better in Cold weather( 0 to -20F) for me. JT
Ditto!!! I loved my non-turbo's!!!!!

vtdeucedriver

As I understand it the non turbos eat about twice the fuel at highway speeds, correct? I am not worried about that, just checking.

Not correct, you will do about 12 GPM. Thats what I got on mine and there was no difference in my turbo truck. You will notice the climb on the hills is a bit slow but if your on flat road, you will outrun any turbo truck!!!!!!

From what I understand, when the turbo is installed, they adjust the timing, where its set and the way the non turbos are adjusted, they just run!!!!! You will get ALOT more smoke but as long as its blk in color, let her run. But like John said, the 109 is heavier so it will take you a bit on the long hills but I doubt you will lag that much in time compared to a turbo deuce with the box on the back.

If I bought another deuce, I would want another non-turbo, just my preference!

FreightTrain

Banned
Stock to Stock you won't be able to tell the difference.But if you have tinkered with the fuel settings you can tell.Just get in,Fire it up,and drive!The power curve will be a little different at the bottom end but keep her wound up and roll the smoke!I want another N/A deuce one day.

Jakob

I haven't ever driven a turbo truck to compare it to, but these are just my observations. The bottom end on my non-turbo truck leaves a little to be desired. The acceleration is REALLY slow. There is a noticeable amount of smoke from the stack, enough that it casts a shadow, lol. On a trip from Louisville to St Louis I got about 8.5mpg out of mine.

Pawnshop

I was a bit dissapointed at first that it was a non turbo but you guys are making me really excited about it now! I can't wait to see how she runs. My M35A2 is a dog in the hills (I suspect the Army turned the fuel down), so I am used to a slowpoke, I hope the M109 is not even slower!! I am in no hurry, I have actually had folks stay behind me going 45 up a hill when they had plenty of room to pass, I think they enjoyed watching her run as much as I enjoy driving her:-D

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
I had a non turbo. It ran faster without the turbo than it did after I converted it. Now I have a pyrometer that I drive by to avoid a catastrophic melt down without prior warning. Before the conversion, it was just wide open throttle.

I really enjoyed the smoke, especially on notable holidays like "earth day", "Al Gore, Global warming day", "They don't write songs about Volvo's day", "Is that another spotted owl stuck in my grille head first day", "I'm voting for the guy who would most likely drive "this" day", "Speak English day", "No spainish language on my truck parts day"...
:twisted:

FreightTrain

Banned
And smoke yours did!!!!I was the truck ahead of you on the trail ride and Clinto was the one behind you....Boy did he have it bad....My overfueling monster plus turbo with bad seals and your non-turbo smog machine......hee hee hee.If I had to do it all over again when I still only had the Martyr Machine I would have bought another truck and kept her N/A and had the second truck turbo.....which might be a good posibility when I put an engine back in there.....Wonder where I can get ALL NEW exhaust parts for a non-turbo truck.....

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M109 will be slower and use more fuel. That box on the back weighs 4000# empty. And I hope it does not have a sprag TC. I drove my M109A3 with sprag 1600 miles back to home. Long trip!
They do have a good foundation for an RV.

vtdeucedriver

I was a bit dissapointed at first that it was a non turbo but you guys are making me really excited about it now! I can't wait to see how she runs. My M35A2 is a dog in the hills (I suspect the Army turned the fuel down), so I am used to a slowpoke, I hope the M109 is not even slower!! I am in no hurry, I have actually had folks stay behind me going 45 up a hill when they had plenty of room to pass, I think they enjoyed watching her run as much as I enjoy driving her:-D
I just noticed that your from texas, I dont think you will have a problem. Just remember she will be a bit heavier. Whats nice is 2300 on the tach is about 56mph, if you got a good runner, that bit of extra weight will make her ride like a cadillac!!!:driver:

THEROAD

I picked up a 109 two weeks ago. I was disappointed it did not have a turbo......at first. About a month ago I got an M35A2 with a c-turbo. The M35 seems to have a little more pep and gets to 2600 rpms quick. The M109 does weigh a lot more and I believe that is most of the difference. One major plus is my 109 has a really different exhaust system. It even has a muffler. Still loud; but nothing like my M35. If you look at the HP difference I really don't see much if anything. The turbo will have an advantage if you run your truck at 5000 feet or more. Other then that no real advantage. Disadvantages--turbos burning up taking the motor with it. Putting a greated load on the motor and more noise are other disadvantages. I like my turbo truck and I think my non-turbo 109 will work out well.
I would not worry and good luck with your truck.

THEROAD

I picked up a 109 two weeks ago. I was disappointed it did not have a turbo......at first. About a month ago I got an M35A2 with a c-turbo. The M35 seems to have a little more pep and gets to 2600 rpms quick. The M109 does weigh a lot more and I believe that is most of the difference. One major plus is my 109 has a really different exhaust system. It even has a muffler. Still loud; but nothing like my M35. If you look at the HP difference I really don't see much if anything. The turbo will have an advantage if you run your truck at 5000 feet or more. Other then that no real advantage. Disadvantages--turbos burning up taking the motor with it. Putting a greated load on the motor and more noise are other disadvantages. I like my turbo truck and I think my non-turbo 109 will work out well.
I would not worry and good luck with your truck.

Pawnshop

Well, we got her home today, she ran GREAT! I like the sound of a turbo, but the non turbo with the muffler is also nice, different and nice in it's own way. There was some grey/black smoke with the military diesel (or JP8?) mixed with 5 gal of WallyWorld diesel I put in, but it thinned out and was almost smokeless after I added 15 gal of #5 Bio-Diesel in New Braunsfels. We ran her at 50 mph the whole way with no issues at all. I will post photos tomorrow. The regular GL guy was off today so someone from the warehouse had to go into the yard with us and he wanted to go to lunch so there was not much time for photos, I got one on the way and will take some of her in the yard tomorrow. The only known issues are batts that will not take a charge and the oil press gauge that only works when it wants to. It has furry tires, new brake cylinders and a new radiator.

Last edited:

FreightTrain

Banned
Well,the non-Turbos all had mufflers.had a fat down pipe running to a muffler under the cab,then out next to the inlet into a flex pipe to the coffee stirrer stack.You DO NOT want run a multifuel without a muffler or a turbo.....I did one time when My down pipe on the MM when non turbo rusted out.Talk about stack talk!

garp

I just recovered a non-turbo M109 from FT Riley KS. Drove her home 650 miles. Buddy that went along said at times he couldnt tell the difference between the truck and the coal trains we were meeting as the road and track run parallel. They do put out a haze, i suspect the jet-stream and local weather did change some after that trip. Power wize, seemed similar coming up the hill to the house as my m35A2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks