• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non-whistling whistler...why?

chemicaljohn

If anyone has suggestions on this I would appreciate it...
I've had my Deuce since the summer. I never really looked into which turbo it had installed, just knew it didn't have the sound of a "C". After starting some work on the truck, I looked at it and guess what? It's a "C"... I only hear the whistle when shifting... faintly. Disconnected the intake and exhaust and both turbines look fine, no touching the housing and spins freely with a little side play, not enough to make contact. Any ideas why it doesn't whistle??

Here's a pic of it... everything i've looked up on here including pics says that is what I have.

Attachments

scooter01922

Yup, good eyes AMG...i was just off looking at my pics to make sure they were the same. Its been a while since i really looked at it for any reason. Its an oddball turbo but it seems to work fine. Only really hear and whine when upshifting and under hard acceleration at high RPM's. FWIW i am going to put in a pyro and boost gage in the spring and then i can get some readings for those wondering about its performance. Has to be some reason there are only a few floating around, on deuces at least.

Scott

P.S. Westy its def not a "D" :)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If your truck runs good with it, run it. If you feel you need the whistle, trade it for another. Without knowing how much air it flows, there is no way to tell if its "better" than any other.

Fat Jack

Reading this thread made me wonder if any of you have ever listened to the GL blurb about turbo's. There's a link on their web site to a podcast that says there's virtually no difference between the multi-fuel diesel engine without a turbo and one with the turbo. They claim that uncle sam put the turbo on so that the engine burns cleaner. I have no idea whether their assertion is accurate, but like you all, I love the sound of my whistler.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Fatjack, you are right about the army's use. The guys here will bump up the fuel and the turbo does make a big difference when you do that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks