• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non Winch Offroad Recovery

wbdisco

I have done some searching but didn't find the answers I was looking for. I have a Non-winch truck, and no funds to purchase a stock PTO winch or Warn electric. I was looking through some old TMs and found one that dealt with recovery or certain vehicles.
One section shows using a rope wrapped through the holes in the rear duals wheels and tied to the hub, then using the motor to spin the wheels to "winch" yourself out.

Do any of you guys have a clue what size rope and type of rope they would have used to pull a deuce out?

Secondly, what other non-winch ways would you guys use to get unstuck if by yourself. All my offroading in small trucks would utilize hi-lifts, come-alongs and the like.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
READ FM 20-22, "Vehicle Recovery Operations", this has most of your questions answered

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done some searching but didn't find the answers I was looking for. I have a Non-winch truck, and no funds to purchase a stock PTO winch or Warn electric. I was looking through some old TMs and found one that dealt with recovery or certain vehicles.
One section shows using a rope wrapped through the holes in the rear duals wheels and tied to the hub, then using the motor to spin the wheels to "winch" yourself out.

Do any of you guys have a clue what size rope and type of rope they would have used to pull a deuce out?

Secondly, what other non-winch ways would you guys use to get unstuck if by yourself. All my offroading in small trucks would utilize hi-lifts, come-alongs and the like.
More hi-lifts, more come-alongs, lots of cribbing, a 12 Ton bottle jack and a friend with a deuce or 5 ton, preferably a wrecker.

wbdisco

That was the FM I was talking about. I guess my question was what kind/rating of rope do they want you to use. Obviously synthetics weren't around then.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, it called for wire rope. Winch cable. The factory winch has 1/2 so I'd assume that would work. You can also use budd thimbles and add extra rims to the front and use as winch drums. Take a smart phone when you get stuck. The collective bunch here have gotten many a truck freed up by offering alternatives. Search youtube for "stuck fordson tractor" and check out how they got out.

Katahdin

The TM mentions both fiber and wire rope and has a table of the diameter strength on PDF page 36 (printed page is 33). The fiber rope the TM mentions is most likely manilla rope.

So the thickest fiber rope in the TM is 1.5 inches with a capacity of 9 tons. Hopefully the truck wouldn't be mired down more than that or you'll need to use wire cable. Using this table here tho, you might get 14 tons of strength using 2 inch manilla rope.

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For this recovery the tools that worked best was a cell phone and a post on Steel Soldiers! The truck was bellied down. Nothing close to hook onto even if it had been winch equipped. Shoveled out behind all the wheels. The use of a highlift jack in the front was futile as all it did was continually jack the blocking and itself into the ground. The yellow handle in the first pic was one of the shovels. With the help of Nick aka bgekky3, we got him out ok. If my MERDC deuce had better rubber that day most likely I would have got him out myself.

Attachments

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple ideas:

Traction Mat or wood pieces
Scotch Anchor
Rope around rear duals (tied off to hub)

or just get a Mexican backhoe.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might also consider carrying a couple sections of Marsden matting in your truck when you go offroading. Lots of off-roaders carry small sections of them in their Jeeps as a traction mat, they work well.

joshs1ofakindxj

Unless I'm missing something, using a wheel as a winch by wrapping around the wheel and securing to the hub will not work unless you are using both hubs on the same axle at the same time. Without both hubs pulling on your winch point, the side of the axle not winching will just spin in the mud because it has the less resistance, UNLESS you have a locking differential.

I've seen an M715 and an M135 that both had plates bolted to the rear axle hubs for winching. It had two holes a rod could be inserted through, with a rope or cable secured between the two holes on the rod.

Kalashnikov

Unless I'm missing something, using a wheel as a winch by wrapping around the wheel and securing to the hub will not work unless you are using both hubs on the same axle at the same time. Without both hubs pulling on your winch point, the side of the axle not winching will just spin in the mud because it has the less resistance, UNLESS you have a locking differential.

I've seen an M715 and an M135 that both had plates bolted to the rear axle hubs for winching. It had two holes a rod could be inserted through, with a rope or cable secured between the two holes on the rod.

You are correct, BOTH have to be wired to the stationary object or else the loose wheel with just spin so bring extra chain/wire rope. This method work pretty well. I had to use it in reverse up a snowy hill i my yard. A bit of a PITA since you can only got short distances, plus you need to make sure it is spooled correctly between the wheels.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick hint/tip (not found in other posts)...

For safe, convienient storage of the 'loose' wire rope used between duals, try coiling rope inside an old motorcycle tire (ie., dirt bike front) or other large radius narrow tire.

Hope this helps.

jw4x4

Get a 6 inch nylon snatchin' strap. MAKE SURE it's a stretchable recovery strap and NOT a rigging strap. When properly used with knowledge and experience, it's nothing short of amazing what can be accomplished. The time Ferro got his 818 hung in the swamp @ Ga Rally immediately comes to mind. We sure made some believers that night.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks