• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non Winch Offroad Recovery

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a 6 inch nylon snatchin' strap. MAKE SURE it's a stretchable recovery strap and NOT a rigging strap. When properly used with knowledge and experience, it's nothing short of amazing what can be accomplished. The time Ferro got his 818 hung in the swamp @ Ga Rally immediately comes to mind. We sure made some believers that night.
Agreed.

HASSON1911

So, quick question, if you didn't have those other trucks could you have used one of those anchors i have seen on here with a snatch block with a cable or rope attached to a tow hook and then to one of your duals and let it pull itself out as your tires slipped?

Troll1216

Yep, works like a winch drum...

I have never done it, but it IS in the manual.

I have used the ground anchor system, that DOES work, depending on soil. Bring extra cable and rope!

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No - read posts 13 and 14... unless that axle has a diff lock in it.
But you could use the snatch block as an evener, with the two ends going to the rear most hubs - one either side,
OR a double snatch block and the middle loop goes to the tow hook and both the ends to the hubs.

"Are we clear?"... "No, I said, ARE WE CLEAR?"
"Crystal, Sir".
A Few Good Men.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, quick question, if you didn't have those other trucks could you have used one of those anchors i have seen on here with a snatch block with a cable or rope attached to a tow hook and then to one of your duals and let it pull itself out as your tires slipped?

It's doubtful the ground there would have held anything. It was an abandoned cement plant. The ground and piles were sand/dust/powder/granulated slag like more than anything else. Going forward at that point would have been far worse than going out the way it went in. It wasn't very muddy but you sank above your ankles in the loose dirt with each step. The front truck recovery vehicle was in econo mode. The rear driveshaft was removed and the steering axle and forward rear inside tires were 22.5s.

Attachments

rbeasley66

Get a 6 inch nylon snatchin' strap. MAKE SURE it's a stretchable recovery strap and NOT a rigging strap. When properly used with knowledge and experience, it's nothing short of amazing what can be accomplished. The time Ferro got his 818 hung in the swamp @ Ga Rally immediately comes to mind. We sure made some believers that night.
I was there that night watching from the dirt road with a load of people in my Deuce. It was an amazing sight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks