• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noob and new owner MEP-003A

lxawolf

This being my first post I mainly wanted to say hello. So hello! Glad so many knowledgeable people are here.

Next I just picked up my MEP-003a recently. I have been reading a lot and am learning quite fast. I have not touched it other than blow off some dust and sand on the trailer. Well not exactly true I did hook up two batteries and the panel lights do work. So feeling lucky already! Attached to the frame was a rubberized canvas bag, that on the body was a series of maintenance and exercise records from the Air Force. March 04- June 06. I take it that is not common due to not seeing any one else talk about it?

One thing I wonder how does every one drain the tank? Do you suck from the fill cap or drain from the valve on the bottom? Mine came 1/3 full with all the oil still in the pan.

So once again hello!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'd use your best judgment. If the fuel or oil is the slightest bit questionable, I'd drain it. If it looks ok, id proceed with caution. It doesn't hurt to try and turn it by hand at first. There is a couple things that can break when turning it over by the starter.

steelandcanvas

What's the last entry in the maintenance records? June '06? If you have any reason to believe that fuel and oil has been in the machine that long, change it. Fuel and oil is cheap compared to the problems comtaminated fuel and lubricants can do. Changing the fluids will also eliminate the troubleshooting issues associated with deteriorated fuel and oil. Just my 2cents.

lxawolf

Yes June 06 is the last date. I was happy to see that the last entered date was the same number of hours on the meeter. I plan on changing to fresh fuel and oil as soon as I get new filters. What does the majority of owners do use the original canisters or use adapters to more modern spin on type?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Speddmon has some spin on adapters for the oil. For fuel its kinda 6 of 1 half dozen another. I used the fm100 filters on mine.

jamawieb

Change the fluids, I would recommend taking the fuel tank off and washing it out extensively. I personally use a power washer to clean the tank out but some use rocks or bearings and shake the tank to get any rust out. I have used the canisters on all my units. Good Luck and don't be surprised when you want to buy more. lol!

Good luck with your new machine, drain all of the fluids and replace the filters. I have not yet but do plan on buying the spin on oil filter kit from speddmon. Makes that job so much easier. As far a the fuel filters, once you clean out the cannisters and put new elements in them ( make sure you replace the o-ring) you shouldn't have any issues as long as the rest of the system is clean.
While you are on the fuel system it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the fuel pumps. I changed the filters on one of my machines and put new oil in the engine. It ran for about two minutes then started to cut out. What I ended up finding was the filter screens were plugged on the pumps. they twist off at the bottom, there is a gasket, the filter screen and there should be a magnet in there to catch any metalic particals. A company called Green Mountain Generators carries the gaskets and screens I believe. Also check that your fuel lins are not getting dried out and brittle. If they are , do yourself a favor and have new ones made. That should be an easy job for a local hydraulic shop. Good luck metalworker393

rustystud

The fuel pump filters are available still, no need to have them made, unless you want to.
I believe he was talking about replacing the fuel lines, which I totally agree with. I got 2 units which where rebuilt, and all the fuel lines where garbage ! Bend them a little and they would break ! Also check and make sure you have all the filter parts. Mine had the filters removed, and they didn't leave in all the springs and washers needed.

lxawolf

Thank you on the idea shop to have new lines rebuilt. They look fine, and are still flexible but a good idea if I ever need a set made. One thing that I could not find on here and wiki is related to the fuel filters. I know they have three canisters, but do they all three use the same filter? I was not sure if they used something different or all the same.

Isaac-1

One housing should contain a metal fuel strainer / water separator, the second two should have a matched pair of fuel filters FRAM C1125PL, don't forget to check the fuel screens in the twist off bottom of each fuel pump.

lxawolf

Ok, so the metal fuel strainer / water seperator does not get replaced. Just cleaned and put back into place. No wonder I was not able to find a part nuber lol. Once again thank you!

Chainbreaker

Also, you should perform a close inspection of all wiring and grounds. In particular, disconnect unit from battery and then open the control box front panel and inspect it inside in great detail. On my unit I found 4 unused screws that had been bouncing around in the bottom of box and 1 was stuck up next to and almost shorted to a terminal close to bottom of box. I also found a couple of loose screws on Terminal Blocks. So it is good to take a screwdriver and check them all and snug them up if any are loose. Also, carefully inspect any wires for chafing or broken terminal ends. Upon close inspection of my unit's control box wiring harness I noticed a wire in the wiring loom that dips down from gauges that had worn a slight groove in the lower metal hinge plate lip of front panel on inside. Had I not noticed it that wire certainly would have shorted in due time. Everything in that box is subject to a lot of vibration in spite of the rubber dampers. Also take a look at the positive wire that goes to the Jump Start connector below the throttle control knob. Maker sure the + wire is not rubbing up against the skid frame anywhere that could eventually cause a nasty short.