• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NOOB Electrical Question

DaveDawson

Thank you. I am considering buying an M1009 and looking at the future. I know nothing about them but am pretty good at repairing any 12 volt gas vehicle.

Stihl029

Dave, there is no ACC circuit on the CUCV's at least not in the backwards position like most cars and trucks now have. yes there is one in the run position. You can run 12VDC gear on the run position. depwnding on how crazy you get you can run 12vdc in multiple ways. I am not sure how much you know about basic electicity; but on a cucv you have two 12VDC circuits in series making 24VDC. so yes you can have accessories. I have a friend who ran his KC's off the upper side if you will. as 12 plus 12 is 24. In his instance he used +12VDC as the ground and +24 as the positive, not using chassis as the ground. He did this so as to use the second alternator and battery to power his toys if that makes sense to you.

DaveDawson

Thanks for the info. I have got an idea of what you are talking about. I'm a hands on kind of guy and with a schematic I will be able to figure it out. With never working on a 24v system, I wasn't sure if you needed to run 24v equipment and didn't know if it even existed. I assume then that the lighting on the vehicle is set up on 12v and you can run the the local auto parts store to get the parts.

Stihl029

yes most of the parts for the truck are available at your local parts store...unfortunately some parts are military specific and its fun to find them whne you need them. Just as Blood_Of_Tyrant said the starting, glowplug, slave start and blackout driving lights are the only thing that is 24VDC. Also any military accessories like winterization heaters, radios, MRE/Water heaters, and MP blue light are typically 24VDC just to name a few. Dont be confused if you see 28VDC that is the same as 24VDC for all intensive purposes(kinda how 12 and 14 are the same on a regular 12VDC system), and there are quite a few things out there.

mistaken1

Thanks for the info. I have got an idea of what you are talking about. I'm a hands on kind of guy and with a schematic I will be able to figure it out. With never working on a 24v system, I wasn't sure if you needed to run 24v equipment and didn't know if it even existed. I assume then that the lighting on the vehicle is set up on 12v and you can run the the local auto parts store to get the parts.
You should do a search for the TM/manuals as they have the schematics in them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks