• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noob Glow Plug Question!

bp m1009

hey guys quick question,
When i bought my 1009 the PO gave me a bunch of NOS parts that he grabbed out of a dumpster from the Guard. Anyway, he gave me a set of glow plugs. They are Wellman units but seem to have 4 different kinds. The numbers are 3 digits engraved on the hex head part of the GP where the socket head would go. The numbers i have are as follows and the amount of each: 434 (3), 428 (1), 427 (3), 421 (1). (8) total Are these different plugs or am i looking at the wrong number? what i think is engraved under the Wellman name under the threaded shank on the GP is: 6A843G070 its hard to make out. but it seems all of the plugs share this number. Are these all the same GP's or no?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
6A843G070 is the Wellman part number. They are "070's".

Personally, I'd toss them back in a dumpster.

If you need new GPs, I'd go buy some AC Delco AC60G GPs.

Barrman

For sure on the 60G's. The reason is the 60G plug is self regulating. If it gets too hot, it will turn off and then back on again. The theory being it won't burn itself up and it won't swell so much it can't be removed from the head. Wellman plugs don't do that. They just heat up until they swell and pop.

However, 24 volts to any 12 volt plug will kill it after about 4 seconds. 60G's will die just as fast under 24 volt than anything else.

MarcusOReallyus

For sure on the 60G's. The reason is the 60G plug is self regulating. If it gets too hot, it will turn off and then back on again. The theory being it won't burn itself up and it won't swell so much it can't be removed from the head. Wellman plugs don't do that. They just heat up until they swell and pop.

However, 24 volts to any 12 volt plug will kill it after about 4 seconds. 60G's will die just as fast under 24 volt than anything else.

Yep. Do the resistor bypass before you put in any new GPs.

bp m1009

the truck already has the GP resistor bypassed. my GP card is shot to so i wired up a manual switch for the plugs. In the 25-30 degree temps here in PA i have to keep the switch on for about 20 seconds and it will start but im pretty sure has some dead plugs, because when it does start you can here it missing on a few cylinders for a little until it gets a little heat after a few seconds. so im pretty sure i have some dead pugs and wanted to replace them, and i have a set of these Wellmans. i know guys dont like them but i know that wellman does make self limiting plugs just like the 60g's, just wasnt sure which ones i had.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wellman's self limiting plugs DO SWELL.

Don't be fooled by advertising.

These statements are based on real life experience.

If you do not heed our advise, you to will learn from your own experience.

Barrman

20 seconds is too long. Change out all 8 and hold them on no more than 8-10 seconds. Leave them off for about 10 seconds and do it again if you think you need more heat, but don't leave them on that long.

When you take your old ones out. Use some jumper cables and a frest battery to actaully see what they do. Wear safety glasses because I have had some go POP! in my face before. Once you see them, you really won't want to hold them on so long anymore.

bp m1009

20 seconds is too long. Change out all 8 and hold them on no more than 8-10 seconds. Leave them off for about 10 seconds and do it again if you think you need more heat, but don't leave them on that long.

When you take your old ones out. Use some jumper cables and a frest battery to actaully see what they do. Wear safety glasses because I have had some go POP! in my face before. Once you see them, you really won't want to hold them on so long anymore.
I had no idea they were that touchy, and that they could explode lol

Barrman

Explode, no. I had a swollen one a month ago on a project engine. I put power to it, it started to glow right next to the threads and then POP. A blast of smoke came at me and a hole developed on the tip just past where it was glowing red.

Hasdrubal

20 seconds is too long. hold them on no more than 8-10 seconds. Leave them off for about 10 seconds and do it again if you think you need more heat, but don't leave them on that long. QUOTE]

This may be true for for swellmans or the old school AC-9's,11's,13's but not for AC-60G's. They reach their maximum temperature of 1850 degrees after 19 seconds. In cold weather I burn mine for 16 seconds straight, thats because the wait light goes out after 8 seconds and after a lot of experimentation I've realized they need double the wait light period. You can tell by how smooth the engine is when it fires up. I afterglow as well, wait 5-10 seconds after firing then give it another 8 second glow.

Hasdrubal

I've bypassed the card and run a manual push-button. Although, apparently there's some trick to adding a resistor into the card circuit which will fool the card into running a longer burn period.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they working?

They are obsolete now, so in the future you'll need to replace your terminal ends and I would use AC60G glow plugs.

bp m1009

I replaced them with the wellmans i had, there was no difference in starting. i still had to burn the plugs for about 20 seconds. I might have a problem somewhere else in my circuit? I figured since i had the new plugs i might as well try them to see if they helped and then buy some 60gs. But there was no difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks