• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noob M1009 Owner asks 12 or 24V Which is better & what is required when adding A/C?

epartsman

Noob M1009 Owner asks 12 or 24V Which is better & what is required when adding A/C?

Just bought an 85 M1009 and I need to replace the starter, flywheel, starter bolts, and relay with the eventuality of adding A/C. The woman @ Nostalgic air was not much help although she did quote me $645 for an under dash unit. OD iron seems to be out of business. Before I purchase parts, convert etc as I know if I do convert I need to go with a 12 V starter and when I put in A/C I may need to illiminate an alternator forcing me to go !2V. Which is better 12V or 24 V given I will be adding A/C? Has anyone added A/C leaving it 24 V with both alternators intact? If I convert to 12V will the blackout lights still work? If I leave it 24 V is there enough 12V circuitry in the body to connect a few power points and accessories? Does the 12 pin trailer connector run 12 V or 24V and is the taillamp circuit 12 or 24 V ince it is actuated from the pedal switch? Has anyone ever added a class 3 trailer hitch and 7pin RV trailer connector? I know this is alot of questions but I would like to do this right the first time as the previous owner semi botched the electrical system causing the starter to stay engaged ruining the flywheel. He was a certified diesel mech BTW. Your input and help will be much appreciated! Thanks, J.

gijoe13

Download the Technical manuals and search is your friend. Most if not all of your questions will be answered there. Alot of reading but worth the effort to do things right.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Make sure you visit the Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum.

All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.

You need to download the repair manuals. You can get then for free. A couple of our members have posted them on their websites.

www.jatonkam35s.com
www.liberatedmanuals.com

The wiring diagrams are in the appendix of the -20 and -34 manuals.
Also checkout the CUCV stickys. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual to find out how a stock system should work. It is simular to the Operators Manual for Civilian vehicles. It tells you where all the lighs, switches, etc are located and what they do.

Three of the most important tools you can buy are:

Digital Voltmeter and know how to use it - ~$10 and up
12v Battery Charger - ~$50 for a decent one
Battery Load Tester - ~$30 for an okay one at Harbor Freight

There are many people running the 24v two alternator system with add-on A/C.

The CUCV trucks (except the M1010) are basically a stock GM truck running 12v systems. On a stock system the only 24v items are the starter, Glow Plug system (12v plugs) and the Voltmeter on the dash.

Every question you have asked has been talked about many, many times.

It is you choice to keep it 24v or to modify the system to 12v. If you do take it to 12v then there are fewer people to help you with future electrical issues.

Please use the Rosscommon Equipment Center method to do the 12v conversion. It is well documented and works well.

Warthog

mistaken1

The only things 24V are the glow plug system and the starter (and perhaps a radio bus behind the passenger seat). (doh! and the voltmeter)

Welcome to the site, I hope you get the butched up wiring fixed.

unaffiliated

Check out the following thread concerning the A/C compressor bracket set up that allows you to retain both alternators. It is the same set up sold by Nostalgic Air. Seems Nostalgic Air gets the compressor kits from the guys listed in post #5 in the thread.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/68058-crank-pulley-add-c.html

I am going to order the brackets myself then take a factory in-dash A/C unit out of my '78 C10 parts truck. I will simply relocate the 24V terminal blocks from the firewall to somewhere else. I plan to install the factory vent set up also and relocate the volt gauge and the Black Out light switches.

Check out post #14 of the following thread for pictures of the bracket set up.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/72858-anyone-install-c-like-yet.html

epartsman

OD is still around??

Stampy have you tried to order anything or use the catalogue on the website because I get nothing when I do? I tried using the contact us link, filled it out but that did not work either. I have also tried to access it on 2 different computers.

ctmustang

I'm wandering about ODIron myself-haven't been able to log in there in a few weeks. Seems like if they are still in business they don't want to be bothered with selling parts. And dito on the tech manuals and the search feature.
CT

epartsman

Nostalgic Air Parts sent me this reply to my electronic inquiry

John,

We will have them in the beginnning of 2012

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Contact Form <sales@nostalgicairparts.com> wrote:

Name: John
Email: XXXXXX
Phone: XXXXXXXXX
Car: 1985 M1009 CUCV Chevy Blazer 6.2L 24v dual alternator
-----------------

--

Thank you

Jon Delucia

Nostalgicairparts.com
Jeepair.com
Coldhose.com
Britishac.com
Nostalgicplastics.com

idM1028

Stampy have you tried to order anything or use the catalogue on the website because I get nothing when I do? I tried using the contact us link, filled it out but that did not work either. I have also tried to access it on 2 different computers.
:ditto:
Seems like the website is acting flaky at best.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OD Iron is out of business until further notice. There is an internal issue with ownership.

Recovry4x4 posted about this the other day.

timdeejackson

I just completed the install using the nostalgic air kit and separate bracket kit. Needless to say I left it 24volt and it was less than quick or fun. If you want any pictures or helpful hints let me know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks