• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noob questions

Wick246

Hi all,

I stumbled accross this forum after a co-worker mentioned a tank for sale on ebay. In the process of looking that up I saw a Deuce for sale - wow I'm in awe. [thumbzup] I didn't know anything about them but the more I learn the more impressed I am. The thought of owning one is starting to cross my mind, but a couple of questions before I get any more excited:

I am 6'3" tall with long legs - I can't tell by the pictures if I would fit very well, or would I have my knees rubbing on the dash for 3 hours straight? I know they are not designed for creature comfort but is the ride somewhat surviveable? I would be using it primarily for camping, 2 - 4 hours drive from home, 3 - 4 times a year, possibly towing a trailer in the future. Do the soft tops keep the weather out? Are long trips and putting miles on them a no-no (any more than anything mechanical)?

I assume the top speed of 55 - 60 is r.p.m. limited? Are there other gear ratios for Rockwell axles available? Would you lose too much low end (considering the weight of the truck) if you went to taller gears?

O.k. enough for now - thanks for the great forum...

Monster Man

you should be fine- I'm 6'1", and added 3-4" of foam padding to my seats and there's still plenty of leg room. Your knees won't be touching the dash, they may rub the wheel a bit since i tis quite large though. Not a problem that I see though.

I put maybe 50 miles a week on mine, it's always best to drive it frequently, because the longer it sits the more chance stuff will rot and go away when you need it. They're meant to be driven, and if it's registered and insured, why not use it? Drive it to work, impress your friends, have fun. They're solid trucks and not very fragile, so don't worry about working them- in addition to driving I haul all the supplies for my job, and haul a car in the bed, etc.

I have a vinyl soft top, and that keeps all the moisture out, no problem. Snow flurries can get through the porrly sealed front windhsield but that's about it. I added a heater kit/defroster and that helps as well.

If you could find higher gears it would work well since the granny low is unuseable as it is. I always start in second. Much taller tires are an option as well.

good luck [thumbzup]

Deuce-bigalo

I am just a little guy (5'9") and weight a buck fifty soaking wet. I think you would have enough room for someone who is considerably larger than myself. I would have to agree with Recovery - you shouldn't have an problems except that big steering wheel. It's like trying to use a DISH satallite receiver to steer with.

Oh yeah, welcome to the best place online when talking MV's!

John

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other thing, the solid box seat offers more gut room than the spring seat. Lots of folks swear by the box seat. If you have a chance to sit in both, I would to make the decision. They can be swapped afterwards. I drive my deuce thousands of miles every year.

Desert Rat

Wick,
If you're plaaning on camping, why not look for one of these M109A3 shop vans? I converted my 35 to a 109 with swapping to a box. I'm also moving from Indiana to Houston using the truck as my primary mover. In three months I will put on about 6500 miles with her. Even running bad fuel she still makes the trip in good order. These trucks are engineered to take combat abuse and still run hard. I also really like my hard top. It leaks a little around the door windows but I'll fix that soon enough. The box is an easy conversion to a camper. I'm putting in a bunk bed set up with a sink, shower, mini closet and tool chest and using my transportable shelter as the galley, dining area and pantry. I'm also installing a 10KW genset on the nose of the shelter for remote power for the satellite computer and tv.

Wick246

Cool set up Desert Rat. I do have visions of a 4 wheeler or two in the back and a regular camping trailer behind but no exact plans yet - I'll throw the van ideal into the mix. :burger:

Dieselsmoke

I'm 6'6 350 pounds. I fit just fine in my trucks. I do prefer the tool box seat over the spring seat. The spring seat puts me up too high and the steering wheel hits my legs. If I lower it down it hits the floor on bumps.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not even commenting on size here. My idea is maybe an S250 shelter on the M105. They make cuddly little campers and you still have the deuce bed for atvs

Desert Rat

Kenny,
LD said basketball. Are you alluding to something bigger? I like your idea too. The big difference is I have to have some creature comforts for the wife who believes no room-service is roughing it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife doesn't get too close to the trucks She has camped in the S318 with myself and the little guy when he was a wee 6 months. It worked nice but basically was just an air conditioned bed.

Wick246

I would love an M105 to tow behind. I have been looking at pictures of them - some are just the right size for the deuce, others are too small looking. Are there different models of the M105 or is it just different size tires?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks