• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NOOOOOO!!!!......guess I need some t-case parts

DMgunn

So, today I'm under my truck, happy as can be, checking levels and wondering why the t-case lever doesn't do anything, when suddenly, I see something that knocks the wind right out of me..... The bearing retainer on the input shaft is broken!! I mean sloppy, wiggly shaft, big gap between case BROKEN. How the heck could that have happened?? And when?? Who knows what the bearings, and gears, for that matter, look like. :( :x

I had planned on driving it 120 miles in a couple weeks to where I'd perform the frame-shortening and complete paint job. Guess that will have to wait.

BTW, the t-case is now stuck in neutral.

Ever been under your truck, WISHING it would start rolling, so you could place your head under a tire?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That stinks! nopics

acetomatoco

recent or been that way a long time...?? Rev it up and pop the clutch, always breaks something.. Or downshifting at too high a speed etc etc...

Jones

Which t-case are you running? Post a picture of it and the offending part. I just found out that my t-case is in need of replacement and you're welcome to the bearing retainer if it's the right one. Can't guarantee condition of internals as it appears to have been subjected to fresh-water storage at some point in it's life.

DMgunn

doghead - will post up ASAP

Ace - looks pretty old - I haven't driven the truck more than 4 miles, all in low range, and couldn't really tell that anything was amiss. The thing is so noisy, and all. I really know nothing about its previous life, except that I had to remove about 15 lbs. of clay from the top of each steering knuckle......

Jones - sorry to hear about the fresh-water storage..... :roll: .....not the best method of preservation. I sure hope they're the same - would love to get it back together without dropping that gigantic beast.

And I thought a 205 was heavy..........

DMgunn

Well, I pulled the driveshaft (from trans to t-case) out, and planned to remove flange, retainer, and bearing, and take a look inside........turns out the castle nut is TIGHT. Pulled like a maniac with an 18" breaker bar, without effect. Will have to get it soaking, and try later.

Anyone know if the casting number off the retainer means anything? It looks like:

8888 Y 831 (Not positive about the first number)

Also, a date? stamped on the (Rockwell) case:
5-17-66

According to my parts manual for the G744 series of trucks, it should have a Timken case in it. If it were, I would be looking for part #TD-3866V568.

Is this going to be the same case, just made by several different manufacturers?

blackdog

My dad bought an M35A2 a while back from someone who I believe is a Steel Soldiers member... $5k (if I remember right) in decent shape with winch but most definitely got ripped off... my dad drove it back home and heard some strange noises coming from transfer... dropped the transfer case, opened up, shredded metal, totally destroyed. Guy screwed us. He knew it was coming too. Went and got another transfer case and was never able to get it hooked up right. Then when taking the (very nice) tires off of it to put on another truck, we noticed that the threads were going the wrong way (as in one axle was right and one axle was left threads on one side of the truck)... turns out that the axles had been reversed and that's what we finally determined to be what destroyed the transfer case... or at least thats what we think...

Sorry for the rant and I hope your situation isn't the same!!

Brian

rmgill

reversed axles? Huh? Someone could have just used the wrong side lug nuts when doing a field expedient repair. The axles can't be reversed because the inputs are over to one side.

JDToumanian

Pulled like a maniac with an 18" breaker bar, without effect.
I have a Wright Tools 30" breaker bar... It demands respect, stuck fasteners fear it's awesome power. It shears off anything it can't loosen.

DMgunn

Just what I need.........I was already concerned about my comparatively small 18" knocking out a bunch of teeth on its way to breaking my jaw - if it let loose. Don't know the diameter of the shaft, but I was using a 55!mm socket on the nut. How foolish to think (initially) that my trusty DeWalt cordless impact was going to handle the job.....it did fit in the space, though. Try that with most other impacts.

I will try some Seafoam "Deep Creep" tomorrow and see if I can't end up with a testimonial for the rep.......although I'd be surprised.

garp

I have a transfer case out of a m54, actuallly belongs to a friend of mine. But I am sure he could be perusaded to parts with it Give me ashout 605 209 4677

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks