• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Normal CUCV break in time

Jasta

I just purchased my first CUCV, a 85 M1008. My question is about the initial break in time. I just started working on it and was wondering if there was a point where it would stop being a pain in the butt and stop treating me like its little bit?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that is a funny post.

They have been breaking in greenhorns for the past 25+ years.

Once they deplete all the green out of your wallet, your savings is at zero, then things will start slowing down.

More money in the pocket means more things to work on. At least that has been my experience. :mrgreen:

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We use two as daily drivers. Make sure you keep plenty of parts trucks around, there is never a dull moment with these trucks but they are fun to drive. Good Luck!

truck1

You have to stay on top of the beast for sure. I paid 3k for mine and dumped another 6k into it and I still baby it - looking for leaks , always monitoring its health and well being. Sure it can be frustrating, but once you learn these trucks and their operating systems they can be awesome. 17-20 MPG , no race horse but more like an old mule. Will not sell mine.Great truck!:grd:

dependable

These are perfectly reliable as local daily drivers and work trucks. But if you are not interested in learning basic mechanic and DC electric skill set, these trucks may not be for you. There is a lot of information on this site and downloadable TMs. It is good to remember that you are working on a 1984- 86 (mostly)Chevy K-30 with 6.2 diesel and TH-400 transmission. Most all variations from that are in elcectrical and mostly covered by TMs. It is a good truck to learn on, as Warthog implied.

85CUCVtom

Wait till the electrical problems start, oh man
I think the electrical system is the hardest for people to figure out. I learn something new everytime I work on my CUCV.

I also feel that most of the CUCV's electrical problems can be avoided with careful maintenance and certain upgrades like the doghead relay, a heavy duty headlight harness and making sure the fuse panel isn't all corroded etc etc.

I drive mine about 16-20 miles every day. I really enjoy it. It's never really let me down. I got it in Feburary of last year and have since somehow collected a ton of spare parts. Picking up a second parts truck isn't a bad idea if its in the budget.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks