• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Normal top speed for Deuce

rwminck

Took my M35A2 out for a ride and my top speed on stock 9.00 is about 50 mph and that is on a flat and to the floor. Is that normal? Wonder if I am starving for fuel?Thanks

mactiredearg

let me beat the search nazis to it: This has been covered repeatedly in threads, please use the search option on the top right of the site.

That said, yea, that might be a _little_ slow but its basically in the range for the top speed of an M35A2 on 9.00s. I think 55ish was my top speed on a flat, with a tail wind and an optimistic speedo.

The only things built for the military that are meant to go fast have wings and even most of those are comparatively slow...

You might play with your fuel setting, but make sure you have a pyrometer installed (again search is your friend).

ATPTac

Fuel isn't going to get you faster than that, 50-55mph is the top speed for a Deuce unless you put bigger tires on it or an OD gear in it. At that speed you're limited by gear ratios, not fuel.

ATPTac

I should add that's keeping the RPM's at safe sustained levels. Also, download a speedometer app on your phone and check it with that. These speedometers aren't the most accurate in the world.

mactiredearg

I should add that's keeping the RPM's at safe sustained levels.
Good point, "top speed" in these things should be thought of in terms of sustainable RPMs, regardless of fuel setting or actual ground speed.

The sticker on the tach (if you have it) will say 2700 RPMs is your red line. But that is really your maximum rev limit, not your maximum hold @ RPM. Hold it there often or for long and your top speed will become 0.

Probably the biggest adjustment I had to make when I started driving these trucks was to the top speed. Now I adjust my ETAs and enjoy driving the coolest vehicle on the road at the time...

welldigger

I would download a speedo app on your phone or get a gps unit an verify your speed before you panic. My speedo always clocked a bit slower than what I was actually going. Of course, that got much worse when I added larger tires to the mix.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put singles on it and run the same speed at less rpms, you will get better fuel economy too and if you need the extra speed it will bring you up abotu 10mph.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Singles slow the engine speed?

I think you left out an important detail to make that a valid statement.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, if I simply remove 4 of my rear tires, my truck will have a differnt gear ratio?

BRB...

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its not changing the gear ratio, but when you added larger tires to a vehicle, the engine will loose some torque to rotate the larger tires. Because the tires are larger, it will take less revolutions to go the same speed as stock 9.00r20s, therefore you will have increased your top speed. The rpms will be lower at 50mph with super singles than with 395's. You will acheive more speed with 395's but loose some torque. It's a trade off.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Until now, you never stated that the tires(singles) needed to be larger in diameter!

I knew this, but your post(#10) was incomplete and misleading to anyone that does not understand what you meant to say(but did not).

m109a2

Want to go fast buy something eles just got my fist ducse.I bought neils rig and I love it.I drove her over a thousand miles took almost a week butt loved it.It is what it is.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats! I'm glad to hear he was able to find a buyer and one that loves it(He sure did).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks