• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Normandy 70th anniversary.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pics. I envy, you being close enough to go. That is one stop I definitely intend to make when I go to Germany to visit my brother. May God bless all who fought and died during the day of days, and my eternal gratitude goes out to ALL the veterans of the USA, no matter when you served!!!!!!!!!

Carlo

Sppedmon. I came here the first time 25 years ago and at that time there were still sights undesovered and helmets shells and other artifacts. I would see them and just leave them there for others to discover and enjoy. Today all those things have been picked clean and people are selling them every where. On every conner. T shirts. Military surplus clothing. Pop corn. Cotton candy. Just to commercial. We left the 'show' and stayed at one of the cemetery's for the rest of day. Remembering. Talking. Touching the thousands of crosses all perfectly lined up and just remembered what the people gave to us all that day.

iatractor

What is the story behind the picture of the paratrooper stuck in the steeple? That church looks a lot like one that was profiled on public television a while back. The show was about the 101st Airborne medic station in a village during D-day up through D-Day+3. Basically it boiled down to only a couple of medics in one group survived the air drop and had a makeshift medic station in the church. These two guys talked about how they treated both the Americans and Germans equally. All guns had to be left at the front door and they even treated several villagers. Can't remember the name of the show but it was on Iowa Public TV during Memorial day weekend.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the story behind the picture of the paratrooper stuck in the steeple? That church looks a lot like one that was profiled on public television a while back. The show was about the 101st Airborne medic station in a village during D-day up through D-Day+3. Basically it boiled down to only a couple of medics in one group survived the air drop and had a makeshift medic station in the church. These two guys talked about how they treated both the Americans and Germans equally. All guns had to be left at the front door and they even treated several villagers. Can't remember the name of the show but it was on Iowa Public TV during Memorial day weekend.
Google "John Steele" "Sainte Mere Eglise". He was a 82 ABN paratrooper that got, well, in that predicament on D-day. The town has hung that mannequin up there for every celebration for a long time, I know he was there when I saw him at the 40th.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Google "John Steele" "Sainte Mere Eglise". He was a 82 ABN paratrooper that got, well, in that predicament on D-day. The town has hung that mannequin up there for every celebration for a long time, I know he was there when I saw him at the 40th.

Didn't he die in the Sixties?

iatractor

Thanks for the information. Kind of an interesting story. So many of the stories of D-Day pertain to the storming of the beaches, but without the members of the 82nd and 101 airborne diving into the heart of enemy territory in the dead of night, we might have had a different outcome in World War 2.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a film about this event as the soldier trapped on the steeple, I think the actors name was Red Buttons, no?

Yes, the actor RED BUTTONS portrayed the paratrooper John Steele in the movie THE LONGEST DAY. Here's the WIKI link on it.....

John Steele - Wikipedia
(scroll down to Film Portrayal)

Many of the links in the WIKI are worth chasing as well... LOtS of history to be learned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started to read the article, and noticed...

The paratroopers were easy targets, and Steele was one of only a few non-casualties. His parachute was caught in one of the pinnacles of the church tower, causing the cables on his parachute to stretch to their full length, leaving him hanging on the side of the church to witness the carnage. The wounded paratrooper hung there limply for two hours, pretending to be dead, before the Germans took him prisoner.

Amer-team

The trick when you go to an event such as this, is figure out where everyone is going and go some place else. I did several of the smaller memorial services.

At the Hemevez service, there was a contingent of US troops, German troops, and music from both Americans and Germans. 10 years ago, the honor guard for the original dedication of this monument, was a Reg. Army Major, our retired 1st Sgt., myself, my son, and 6 Belgians all in WW2 uniforms. Today it was well attended and remembered. The story behind this monument was that there were 7 Paratroopers of the 507th that were wounded, they were put in the local church, discovered by the Germans who took them out and shot them. A local farmer found and buried them until Graves registration came by. The Story was lost until about 13 years ago, when funds were raised to erect this monument. The local people are still very thankful for the sacrifice that so many Americans made for their country and freedom from the Germans.

I have pictures but got a new computer and am having issues downloading from the camera. Hopefully soon.

Carlo

The area is so rich in stories. I took several reference books to constantly check data of places I wanted to see but after 4 visits in all these years I think I have only scratched the surface. You can be driving down roads in all of Europe and off to the side you see a monument. When you stop and read the dates and the count of men who gave their life's it really hits home.

Amer-team

Carlo, you are right. I stayed in Gite in Graignes. Right across the street is the remains of the church and monument dedicated to 50 paratroops of the 507th, 1 - RAAF, 30 townspeople that were killed by the Germans. The local priest was helping retrieve weapons and ammo to keep the troopers going. After the ceremony a person from the town, came up to an American Major and held out a piece of camo parachute. it had come from a trooper that had injured his shoulder during the jump and knocked on their door for help. Mother rushed him in and hid him and he survived the battle. the chute had the nomeclature markings and we were able to identify that it had been made in 1943 and inspected in 1944.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks