• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Normandy France June 6, 2014 70th Anniversary

D-Man

I too was there for the 60th and met many veterans from the U.S., Canada, and the UK who told remarkable stories about Normandy and beyond. The people in Normandy are still very grateful to United States and polite to American visitors.

When I was there, I got to know a family who lives near La Fiere, not far from the Iron Mike memorial. Many years after the war, they had recovered a treasure trove of artifacts while farming their fields including Garands, canteens, and other personal effects, enough to start a small museum.

Amer-team

I too was there for the 60th and it was so much fun, am going again. I will do pictures, but am still having problems loading pics on this site, with the change in the management tool for doing that.

Amer-team

Did an event at small village in Belgium last weekend. one French Hotchkiss jeep in attendance. it was in nice condition with 24 volt system. ticking the da

Carlo

I wanted to be there with on of my equipment but only WW2 stuff is allowed to participate is major parades and beach activity. We as a museum were even invited by the French tourism board to be there only to find out from one of the many organizers my modern equipment was not allowed.

Iski

My Dads birthday, and day he landed on Omaha beach. He was lucky and made it. He was one of the first landing crafts to get to shore. He is still alive but won't talk about it.

Iski

A small write up. I was home when he was phone interviewed, and all he did was deny anything that anyone said he did. It was late at night, and it was a total fluke that I was present. To this day it is the only info I have other than what others have said he did and a medal he received. When I was young I went through his collection of pictures he took and a silver medal he received for his part in the landing. When He noticed the pictures were askew he burned his collection hoping to teach me that war is not what holly wood portrays it to be.

www.usslci.com/html/documents/LCI93487NORMANDY_000.doc

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Iski, Thanks for posting that. Great write up about LCI crews and some of the men they delivered to the beach. I assume that contains details from your father's interview? Is he or his ship mentioned by name?

Iski

Sigo, yes LCI(L) 487. His medal came with a detailed account of his actions on the beach as witnessed by others. When He was interviewed for this article he denied all of what was written with the medal, and it never made print. It is amazing what our service men go through and more amazing that they never speak of it.

Last edited:

zout

I know I have until July 1 for my M909 to become legal to get plates for and Titled - I have been impressing upon my local DMV whom I first talked with to get me in the system legally BEFORE the 4th and absolutely before the 6th of July. There is just TOO much going on NOT to be able to take the M909 out in Celbration or events or parades to not be taking place in - will let ya all know how this pressure goes to be able to do this - I do know the DMV fella is trying hard as well and that is a GOOD thing - I know he wants a Penz.

Amer-team

Carlo,sorry to hear of your trouble for this event. With the importance of this event I would have to side with the WW2 emphasis groups. Certainly they can not tell you what to drive around the area. With my group, most events are open to all eras of vehicles, but once in awhile we will have a WW2 only event and ask that members respect that. Hope to see you there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks