• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

North Carolina Title Issues

NCBloodhound

So far the process with GL HAD been flawless....until today. I did not have to fill out a EUC and I got my SF97 very quickly.

Now for the fun part. North Carolina requires form MVR-181 Damage Disclosure to be turned in with the title application. The seller MUST fill out and sign the form. The buyer can't do it. The form even states that not providing the form in NC can result in civil liability for the seller. They did not make me provide this form when I went to the local DMV. A couple of weeks later I got a letter from the state asking for the form and stating that they would not provide a title without it.

I emailed GL over a month ago. They responded and told me that they would refer my issue to the titling department. Last week they called and asked me some questions about what process I followed with the state. The conversation went well so I figured I would get the form. Today I got an email stating that their titling department doesn't fill out this form. Well too **** bad! I guess I will call them next week (and be nice). If they don't fill it out, then off to court we go! I have no problem suing them in small claims...

It was so close to going off without a hitch, but alas, it was too good to be true..

NCBloodhound

What strikes me is that GL would have no way of knowing the answers to the questions. That may be why they are not responding.
I agree and wonder if that is the gist of it, but it doesn't matter. It is required, plus I think they are covered by the statement at the top of the form.

"STATE LAW REQUIRES THAT EVERY SELLER DISCLOSE TO THE BUYER IF HE KNOWS OR REASONABLY SHOULD KNOW, THE INFORMATION LISTED BELOW."

I would say that they probably don't know nor reasonably should know so they should be good.

I'll be nice. I just wanted to post this so others from NC would know.

Chief_919

If nothing else works, tell Government Liquidation that you will contact the DMV inspectors in NC and tell them that GL, a private company, is selling motor vehicles in NC without a dealers license and refusing to provide proper documentation.

The DMV inspectors live to bust unlicensed dealers and ones who don't follow the law. I have no doubt that Government Liquidation selling vehicles in NC as they do they are not in compliance with NC law, but nobody has done anything because they assume that they are acting as a government agency and not a private company.

I bet it would be a huge feather in an inspectors cao to bust them and make them start complying with NC law as dealers..... that means continuing education and bonding and that they can't sell a vehcile until it has passed NC inspection.

I bet if you mention that if you can't get the form signed the DMV inspector will be looking in to if Government Liquidation is acting as an unlicensed auto dealer they will rush to sign it.

NCBloodhound

I bet if you mention that if you can't get the form signed the DMV inspector will be looking in to if Government Liquidation is acting as an unlicensed auto dealer they will rush to sign it.
That is a thought too, but hopefully I won't have to resort to it. They have several locations here in NC so I could probably use this tactic.

Thanks for the idea!

ctmustang

I have always had good luck titling my mv's from gl here in NC. The only difference I can see is that you don't have a EUC. I have never been asked to supply the form their requesting from you. I have had to call the dmv in Raleigh a time or two though. IF I were you I would call them. I just got another m1009 titled about a month ago. Took in the sf97- and the euc and title arrived wed. [thumbzup]

CGarbee

Call me on Monday at my work number (PM me for it if you can't find it using Google...) and I'll tell you how to easily resolve this without getting GL into trouble, involving a lawyer, or any other nastyness...

I work for DOT and know the folks who run the tag and title division, and the license and theft division, and I have a copy of the tag and title procedure manual on my desk (and have titled way too many MV's in NC to count...).

RealCavDog

Hate to see them start selling these vehicles as scrap and no titles, just to try and comply, or attempt to avoid issues with one states extra forms.

One small step that may create a huge long term problem.

No way to get a title from another state first ?

All my vehicles, when I apply for my paperwork from G.L., I speak to them first and explain the issues in Missouri with no consistancy about the SF-97, and they charge me a bit more and send me an actual title, which makes it MUCH easier to transfer and such.

Good luck and will be very interested to see how it all works out !

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they don't fill it out, then off to court we go! I have no problem suing them in small claims...

I do belive it is in the terms and conditions agreement with GL that you agreed to all legal disputes to be settled in a Arizona court .

From GL's terms;
  1. You agree that any dispute between the parties must be resolved under Arizona law and in a court located in Maricopa County, Arizona. You expressly agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of those courts to resolve any dispute, and you expressly agree not to contest that jurisdiction or venue. You also agree to accept service of process from such courts by certified or registered mail.

Last edited:

Chief_919

Call me on Monday at my work number (PM me for it if you can't find it using Google...) and I'll tell you how to easily resolve this without getting GL into trouble, involving a lawyer, or any other nastyness...

I work for DOT and know the folks who run the tag and title division, and the license and theft division, and I have a copy of the tag and title procedure manual on my desk (and have titled way too many MV's in NC to count...).
Is there a solution we can use that doesn't involve having to get you to go to bat for us every time? I can see this becoming a worse issue as time goes on and the state gets more and more anal about stuff.

Edited to add- I still think somebody from the License and Theft crowd is going to really destroy GL if they ever find out that under the contract GL takes title and posession of the vehicles before they sell them, so they are not selling on behalf the government, but rather are selling what is legally a vehicle owned, at time of sale, by Government Liquidation.

A technicality, yes. But I have seen those guys really rip into guys for far less. At a $5000 fine per violation.......

Last edited:

NCBloodhound

Here is a quick update... I have been talking to GL and they said they have never been asked to fill out this form in NC. The management there is discussing what to do. I told them that it was a pretty benign form and that they should just fill it out for me. CGarbee, how can I get in touch with you?

CGarbee

Here is a quick update... I have been talking to GL and they said they have never been asked to fill out this form in NC. The management there is discussing what to do. I told them that it was a pretty benign form and that they should just fill it out for me. CGarbee, how can I get in touch with you?
Management can't/won't fill out the form since they don't actually look at the vehicle... However, the folks at the actual yards are good about signing it when you pick up the vehicle (if you know to take the form with you...).

GL isn't registered with the state as a dealer, but the state has been handling the paperwork as if they are. Otherwise, you'd have to have a member of the liscense and theft unit inspect the vehicle, fill out MVR31, and then go to the title office...and it is hard getting on thier schedule...

I'll send you a PM with my office phone number...

elkay12

never had problem with title or tags / never was asked about from / was asked about a form one time on a camper i bought but i just filled out a form they had and signed stating previous owner was not responsible / good luck /

CGarbee

The title rules/procedures changed last year in response to some issues with vehicles that had been improperly titled over the previous several years...

For that matter, the rules are always evolving (at both the State and Federal level)...

I just talked to NCBloodhound, hopefully, he'll have this cleared away soon...

texwatercop

So what exactly am I going to need to tite my M101?? I was going to transfer my plate from my old trailer to it, but the registraion folks in Morehead say I need a title. Will the SF-97 work or not? Im' not interestested in the **** SF-97 if it wont, since they charge you for something that should come with the **** thing.

fallen

i have several m101 trailers all i have is a bill of sale can you advise me the best way to get them titled i dont plan to sell any of them but would like to have titles for them thanks

CGarbee

If you have a SF97 with the reasignment from GL to you, then DMV will consider it the same as a NC dealer sale.
You would need:

Title Application (MVR-1)
Vehicle Title (SF-97) with the Reasignment from GL to you
Bill of Sale (your GL invoice)
Insurance Form (MVR-615)
Damage Disclosure Form (MVR-181)

The snag for most folks is that they did not get the MVR-181 signed by the folks at the GL yard when they picked up the trailer/truck... The main office in Arizona can't fill this out for you since they don't "know" what the condition of the vehicle is. Try contacting the yard to see if you can get them to fill it out for you.

SF97 vehicles, and antiques, are supposed to be inspected by a member of the license and theft division who fills out a MVR31 (documenting the inspection and what paperwork you have), but it is hard to get on thier schedule. DMV is being nice by considering GL to be a NC Dealer...

If you only have a bill of sale, you likely would have to title it by bond (see my website for this procedure).

As usual, PM me if you have any specific questions or need something clarified some more.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks