• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

North Dakota won't except SF-97

Bighurt

Just a fair warning for my fellow members in ND. The DMV will not except SF-97 as the accompanying letter doesn't state what state the tax was collected and for how much.

I had the invoice in hand however because the individual from GL signing the letter and SF-97 doesn't sign the invoice and because the invoice doesn't prove in any shape or form that GL is actually sending the tax to the state the vehicle was auctioned in.

They want a wet signed letter from the GL rep signing the SF-97 and letter to draft a small short letter explaining how much tax was collected and to which state it was sent with proof.

My options are to pay ND tax, or register the vehicle in the state from which it was auctioned.

All of this makes little sense to me the cashier at Staples doesn't wet sign the receipt and provide proof that the money in the till that they collected from me is actually being sent to the State of North Dakota. They insist vehicle sales are different...

Opening a beer, I have a headache!!!

:beer:

dmetalmiki

unbelievable

Well, I'm in the U.K. and just opened a beer on your behalf.!.. WHAT a pain in the a... Glad we don't have problems like that! ..as I look..I ponder..(so..) register the truck in another town-state-county-country PLANET! anywhere. with a modicome of common sense.. good luck.. HA! but it WILL be done!

scranch18121

That sucks....... why is that your responsibility.... to make sure the tax collected somewhere else is sent where it is supposed to be sent. Is the money collected for social security used for social security?... is the money they collect from you for medicaid going to be used for medicaid?...... i think not..... it's going to be used for stupid govt programs like paying farmers NOT to farm their land........ or a study to see why frogs have heart attacks... etc... STUPID!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try a different DMV location.

Bighurt

Try a different DMV location.
I called the state, NDDOT they said the same thing...they need wet inked proof of tax paid.

I should call DFAS and tell them I need written proof that they are sending my collected tax to the federal government.

Or maybe the DMV will...

Whats even worse if I give them the SF-97 and decide to pay the tax what are they going to use to determine what I paid. They are going to ask for a receipt, for which I have the invoice. Then they will use the total and charge me 5% on that. So how is the Invoice good enough to determine purchase price but not sufficient to demonstrate tax collected...

Last edited:

Nonotagain

Bighurt, are you sure that Government Liquidation charged you sales tax?

Up until a year or so ago, GL collected the tax money as part of the invoice. Recently I haven't been charged tax, they show what the tax would be, but I wasn't charged the tax. I guess GL figures that its simpler for them to let each state deal with collecting the tax.

GL might not be registered/licensed as a vehicle dealer in your state.

Just remember that you also have to pay the tax on the GL 10% buyer premium in addition to the cost of the vehicle. Check you credit card bill and verify exactly what GL charged you.

Bighurt

I paid the invoice with a check...

I also called them when I got the invoice and asked about the tax, they said they were required ot collect tax for the state in which the sale occurred.

2012 internet venders across the board will be required to charge sales tax. Will really make you do research before buying. Seller x may have it $5 cheaper but the tax rate is 2% higher. Makes a difference in big purchases...

The vehicle was bought out of state ND dealer laws don't apply.

I don't see how this is a new concept. If I bought a truck from a pawn shop in Las Vegas they would charge me sales tax...which it would show on the receipt. NDCC says that vehicles purcahsed out of state must show proof of tax paid out of state. There is a list of states that this doesn't apply to...Alabama and Oklahoma aren't one of them.

dozer1

I had to check my last invoice on GL. That was my m817 bought in June last year. It is very clear on there the Ga. state tax I paid. Mn. recognizes that and I had no prob with that here. I cant see what they are talking about. What more could they want?

Bighurt

What more could they want?
A letter wet signed explaining exactly that...but from the vehicle title coordinator at GL.

And just to clarify I'm working this from both ends. I called the state when I got home and she was the one that said well you can just pay tax and be done with it. Lady at the DMV wanted a letter, and she was being told to do so buy the lady at the state. Different Ladies I got names...

I also called and talked to GL, and they are now forwarding an email I drafted to the title department.

If it's this complicated in the future I may just not buy vehicles from GL out of state. Or I could just not register my fleet in state...I wonder who would get more upset, GL for loosing a buyer or NDDOT for loosing funds. Probably neither which is a problem in itself.

Why is it so much easier to break the law...than to do the right thing.

YTS Deuce

Why is it so much easier to break the law...than to do the right thing.
Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission. LOL :roll:

I have problems going the other way... I live in Montana which has no sales tax, yet some states where I purchase charge me tax and I have to go through the hassle of trying to get it back. Hasn't been too bad in the past with regular vehicles, but it's a nightmare with MV purchases through GL.

paulfarber

You should be able to contact you Dept of Revenue and get a form for the sales/use tax refund if you have to pay it again.

You can only legally be charged sales tax once on a purchase. Since its only sold to you ONCE.

Sounds like you need to shop around for another DMV office.

Bighurt

You should be able to contact you Dept of Revenue and get a form for the sales/use tax refund if you have to pay it again.

You can only legally be charged sales tax once on a purchase. Since its only sold to you ONCE.

Sounds like you need to shop around for another DMV office.
Not a lot of choice in this state nearest office is over an 90 minutes away.

I agree!

Dodge man

internet taxes

2012 internet venders across the board will be required to charge sales tax. Will really make you do research before buying.
Are you SURE about that?? I've heard talk about it but I haven't seen anything official yet. Can you supply a creditable reference?

Bighurt

Are you SURE about that?? I've heard talk about it but I haven't seen anything official yet. Can you supply a creditable reference?
You can read about most of it at Streamlined Sales & Use tax project. However right now you would have to look up your state tax laws as the there is no governing federal law as to the internet tax as of yet.

Remember it is the responsibility of the consumer to pay sales tax, in fact many states now have lines added to tax returns for sales tax not collected. Even though a internet vendor didn't collect it you may still be responsible to pay it.

Bighurt

Alright totally screwed up my math for my trip to the DMV.

I'm reading the regs now but when she told me the registration was $1000+ I chocked and made her re-check. Turns out the Terms GVW and GCVW are the same thing in ND. Which means my M915A1 is now registered at 62000 vs its max. The bad thing is that puts me over the 55000 Heavy use tax...so now I have to deal with that.

Should have bought a 71' M818...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks