• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

North Texas Recovery. Wish me luck.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back at it. 300 miles to a buddy's place in LA, 600 to final destination. The squeaking noise doesn't appear to be getting worse -- will be greasing more zerks as recommended soon. Looking up.
If you get the chance, take some photos/keepsakes of your journey. I didn't think to do that with mine until after I got home. Safe travels!

Das_Haifisch

If you get the chance, take some photos/keepsakes of your journey. I didn't think to do that with mine until after I got home. Safe travels!
My buddy has taken plenty but I made the decision to get a flip-phone after ruining 3 or 4 "indestructible" smart phones and he's holding the rest over my head for now

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No hanger bearing on your truck, Haifisch, your driveshafts are too short. Plenty of places for metal-on-metal rubbing sounds, from the hood not having the leather strips in front so it rests on the metal grille, engine side panels not having the rubber stops and chafing and rattling as a result, to fenders against steps, and probably several more places. Do the cab floor covers have all the fasteners in them? Lovely rattles come from those!
When the truck was designed, the presence of a human in it was an unfortunate distraction from the mission, so this need was accommodated without fuss, such as sound proofing, ventilation, heating, comfort or other weeny kid items.

No harm in checking U-joints. When you are under there, pay close attention to the fasteners of the "shorty" driveshaft between tranny and transfer case; they have a nasty habit of coming loose.

Das_Haifisch

No hanger bearing on your truck, Haifisch, your driveshafts are too short. Plenty of places for metal-on-metal rubbing sounds, from the hood not having the leather strips in front so it rests on the metal grille, engine side panels not having the rubber stops and chafing and rattling as a result, to fenders against steps, and probably several more places. Do the cab floor covers have all the fasteners in them? Lovely rattles come from those!
When the truck was designed, the presence of a human in it was an unfortunate distraction from the mission, so this need was accommodated without fuss, such as sound proofing, ventilation, heating, comfort or other weeny kid items.

No harm in checking U-joints. When you are under there, pay close attention to the fasteners of the "shorty" driveshaft between tranny and transfer case; they have a nasty habit of coming loose.
Good news, looked and only saw like a nub so glad that's not something else needs fixing lol.

Finally made it home, just pulled a 6AM-2AM straight to get me the other 630 miles, one hit-and-run by a semi truck later lol. I see the point in convoys now... strength in numbers. Need to source new glass for the top two mirrors, frame damage is nothing I can't fix with vise grips. Pretty sure he needs a new assembly. Could've been my fault for not realizing how far the mirrors stuck out left but then again I'm too much of a man to feint pulling over with your blinker and then speeding off. Seemed like he had that memorized.

Being alone in one of these on the interstate at midnight with 9.00-20s straight up feels like being hunted. Especially when you are missing like THE mirror. Biggest hurdle tbh was the Louisiana infrastructure, petty sure I caught air 2 or three times. Never wanna see another railroad crossing as long as I live. Loved almost every second of the trip but there's more of a bittersweet feeling as I believe it is currently too unsafe to drive for now. Still made it the 900. Glad I got a runner.

Seeing as I can't take her anywhere far tomorrow I might just have to waste time trying to get whichever one of ya'll that stole my batteries arrested

Attachments

Last edited:

Das_Haifisch

Inspection-wise, the black stuff on the roof will come off easy but there's still a couple more holes than I'd like, and the transfer case is leaking a good bit but nothing bad enough to stop me from just refilling it until I get (presumably) the seal replaced. Tomorrow I guess I'll try the pressure-wash+WD40 combo (on the paint not the transfer case)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks