• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Northern VA Deuce

deucegrrl

Hello, all. :)

I'll cut to the chase. Are there (m)any deuce owners in the northern VA area? I looked at the map and I didn't see many, but I could be reading it wrong.

Does anyone know of deuce-friendly resources in the area, whether you live here or not? I.e. places where mechanics/restorers/welders etc are familiar with or at least not intimidated by the deuce? ;-)

We've had some fun rides in it so far. Love taking it to Home Depot. You can't go anywhere without people starting a conversation.

Looking forward to participating in this forum!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in the DC area in MD. Contact me via PM and I'll try to help you find whatever you need.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a few in NoVA. I do most of the work myself, so I can't give you any shop recommendations. Always interested in meeting new folks, though!

HeadWizard

I'm in NOVA. Live in Clifton and my truck(s) live in Chantilly (Sullyfield Circle) at the shop. We're mostly a car shop,but do some deuce work.

I was at the Home Depot at 606 and 50 today - probably where your talking about.

deucegrrl

Wow, you guys are super - thanks for all the great resources :)

Some of the first things we want to attack with the truck are...

1. Rubberizing the bed - we have an initial verbal quote from Trick Trucks in Chantilly for $600 but that seemed a bit high so we're still researching.
2. Power steering!
3. Replacing the windshield frame -- leaky, what a surprise. ;-) The trip back to VA from downtown Philly in the rain was rated 10 (for # of rolls-of-paper-towels).

PS. Yes that's the Home Depot I'm talking about - we've survived the parking lot twice so far LOL!

Orionspath

Another Virginian.......

Alright cut me into the game. Yes there seems to be quite a few here in the upper half of Old Dominion, and all these MV owners have shared their knowledge / resources with me as well. In regards to your desire to rubberize the bed, have you thought of doing this yourself? You can find the products either at local automotive stores or on line. I did the floor in my CJ with a 4' roller and brush and it turned out pretty darned well.
I am in Alexandria as well though Deuce is in Luray. This weekend, I am driving her out to the Delaware beaches in an attempt to get it there for a July parade in Bethany. I am so excited that I cannot sleep or focus on work. Normal driving time from there by car/truck is 5 hours. It will most likely take me 7.
Maddog, any words of wisdom for my first long distance trip? Anyone else? Convoy for a few miles? I WILL NEED TO STOP AND FILLER UP (FIRST TIME) somewhere near Gainesville/Haymarket area. Haven't decided whether to leave and travel overnight or leave around 4am on Saturday from Luray.
1988M35A2C

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Another Virginian.......

Check yer fluids, go over the brakes and lines and enjoy the ride. Deuces are wonderful vehicles to travel in, in a sinister way.

FSBruva

RE: Another Virginian.......

Bring:
- a hat ... deuce sun visors don't work too well
- rags for stuffing around the window in case it rains
- plenty of water.... firewall can get pretty warm on long hauls
- painkillers for your cheeks from smilin the whole time

I agree with Kenny. The better trips are the ones that make driving a normal vehicle feel really, really weird afterwards. You'll see what I mean.

Matt

rmgill

deucegrrl said:
Hello, all. :)

I'll cut to the chase. Are there (m)any deuce owners in the northern VA area? I looked at the map and I didn't see many, but I could be reading it wrong.

Does anyone know of deuce-friendly resources in the area, whether you live here or not? I.e. places where mechanics/restorers/welders etc are familiar with or at least not intimidated by the deuce? ;-)

We've had some fun rides in it so far. Love taking it to Home Depot. You can't go anywhere without people starting a conversation.

Looking forward to participating in this forum!
Aldie, Va? I drove my deuce through Middleburg on my way around a detour to get to my friend's place in Culpeper. Small world.

I know there's a fellow what lives on the Northern Neck down on the Rapohannock who has a deuce and can help you find stuff, he has quite a motorpool going, BUT doesn't have anything but Dialup so he's pretty scarce around here.

I think you're looking at Whiteowl In West virginia as the nearest Deuce place, but you don't have a terribly long drive to go up to Harrisburg VA to get things from Saturn or Colemans.

CanonNinja

RE: Re: Northern VA Deuce

I had a quote of just over $700 to rhinoline my deuce's bed, but that was including prep/rust removal and came up the sides of the bed as well.

dm22630

Re: RE: Re: Northern VA Deuce

CanonNinja said:
I had a quote of just over $700 to rhinoline my deuce's bed, but that was including prep/rust removal and came up the sides of the bed as well.
I think that is MUCH more reasonable than $550 to rhinoline my F150! aua

L1A1

rmgill said:
I think you're looking at Whiteowl In West virginia as the nearest Deuce place, but you don't have a terribly long drive to go up to Harrisburg VA to get things from Saturn or Colemans.
A slight correction here: Saturn Surplus is in Millersburg, PA and White Owl parts is located in Kinston,NC. Unless there's another parts place known as "Whiteowl"?

FWIW, I've dealt with Saturn Surplus on an almost weekly basis for the past 2.5 years during the restoration of my M151A1 and they are a great group of people to deal with!I live in Harrisonburg, VA and Saturn is roughly 150-200 miles away from me. If I ordered a part before 2PM, I usually got it the following day.
Matt

Orionspath
Good luck on your trip and have a safe journey! What I'd add to the advice you've already been given is to bring your tools along and maybe some extra lubricants,coolant, etc. If you have any extra belts, hoses probably couldn't hurt to include them as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks