• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NOS MEP802 engine - initial start?

serial14

I'm working on rebuilding a MEP-802a. I got a NOS Factory Rebuilt engine to replace my bad engine with. I'm getting close to the point of cranking it over for the first time. When I was installing filters, I could see that there is oil & fuel residue from the presumed factory test run. But I'm wondering if I should do anything specifically before cranking this thing over? I know on other engines & vehicles you can do things like pre-pressurize the oil system, or pour oil in the heads to let it drain down.

My best thought, is to use the dead crank switch initially to get some oil flowing before letting it try and start.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Be familiar with start up procedures. Be ready for a emergency shut down.

Batteries fully charged.
Radiator checked and filled.
Break-in oil filled and oil level checked.
fuel tank filled.

Turn to prime and run for maybe 4-8 minutes. The MEP-8xx is self priming. After filling all lines, cartridge filter, and spin-on water/filter, it will drain back to the tank via the fuel return lines.

OK, now some things to do before starting.

You have all the things ready to go.

Dead crank switch for a few seconds. wait a little bit, dead crank switch a little.

OK, ready for real start, put it to normal, set to prime and run. Start unit, hold on start until oil pressure it up, ok release.

Get the engine speed set, 60Hz, and the voltage set, 240

Verify all the numbers with a multi-meter, have some loads to apply to your generator.

You are on your way.

The thing is.... once you start it, you want to run it for at least a hour or more with some loading 60-90%

serial14

Thanks for the info Daybreak. I've found some of your youtube videos and specifically book marked the start procedure one. It was a good refresher for me.

When I'm using the dead crank switch, Will the oil pressure gauge be functioning? I was thinking, that if it was functioning, I could just use the dead crank to get oil pressure before actually trying to start it.

You mentioned priming it for 4-8min. I was planning on doing that as well to get the fuel system primed. Is it worth pulling the return line at the top of the engine just to validate when the fuel system is completely full?

Guyfang

Staff member
Seeial, where does the fuel go, when the system is full? Back into the fuel tank. Open the tank and hold your ear to the filler neck, if you think it's not primed. But I would not worry about it. If the system is not primed after 4-8 minuets, it won't ever be primed! I am pretty sure that with the S1 in the run position, the oil pressure gage will work in dead crank. Once again, it's not something to worry about too much. Follow Daybreak's startup instructions and you should be good to go. And pay attention to the last sentence. Makes a big difference to engine long life.

Bmxenbrett

Crank it with no fuel to the lines to build oil pressure and if you want to get fancy put a few oz of oil in each cylinder.