• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

not a bad hmmwv roll cage idea

I 2nd, 3rd, whatever a mod page for HMMWV. There really is no such thing' that i have found. You go to other pages and youll get info on the same engine maybe but most of the time not the same platform. I joined steel soldiers for the hmmwv knowledge base and military vehicle specific information, the more i learn the less any other forum for information on this specific platform is useable.

All that being said im a vet, i drove these things for more than four years and every time i did i thought man i wish i could mod this truck. Now i have a chance to own my own and im going to do it my way, like youll see if your read my build page.

I have seen very few custom trucks, and im not talking about stupid big tires and lift, chrome all over the place, or chamelion paint. Im talking about adding economical power, safety such as a roll cage and a 4/5 point harness, and maybe some wherls and tires to improve streetability.

I may not agree with how someone mods there truck but learning from there mistakes, coming up with new improvements, that something we can all benefit from, pruist or not.

"There is no darkness we'll not face boldly for each other, so to hells gates I will charge to ransom back my brother"

riderdan

Of course we're all free to do whatever we want with our personal property. My intention is to get my HMMWV to a state similar to those I drove in Europe and the sandbox, but my memory isn't great (who knew I'd care about details--I was more worried about not hitting a bump and making the XO spill his coffee). My two concessions to modifications are things to make the truck safe enough to drive my kids in and a couple of convenience items we didn't have back in the day (like spare tires!)

I've seen some pretty cool modded trucks, too--and if I weren't a nostalgic old SOB I might go that way myself. I'm fond of the better-done four passenger hard tops (with real X-doors) and the four-passenger gun trucks, even though I won't be going there personally.

I took the statement about this being a more restoration-focused site as a comment about the level of enthusiasm you might get from fellow board members about the video, rather than a personal attack. But this is the Internet, so there's that tendency to assume the worst.

Last edited:

Awol

Man, some of you guys remind me of Corvette owners. Cant modify a **** thing, and get your panties twisted when someone even suggests the idea of changing something.

They made thousands upon thousands of these trucks. Cut em up, drive through mud up to the hood, jump em, beat the bag out of it! It's much more fun!

Man, some of you guys remind me of Corvette owners. Cant modify a **** thing, and get your panties twisted when someone even suggests the idea of changing something.

They made thousands upon thousands of these trucks. Cut em up, drive through mud up to the hood, jump em, beat the bag out of it! It's much more fun!
Did that while i was in and so did everyone else in the infantry. We beat these trucks to **** and most of the time they still made it back. Making it do more of that imho is real purist to what they were made for and thats to do cool ****.

One of the best things about the V is how modifiable they are. From the swapping of engines, type of cabs, doors, roofs, etc. What is a V but a "versitile modifiable" treasure :)

"There is no darkness we'll not face boldly for each other, so to hells gates I will charge to ransom back my brother"

911joeblow

So I am in the camp that uses these trucks offroad and as such modifies them. I think there is a place for both groups here.

I do like the through 'B' pillar cage set-up which is the way I do it. BUT I dont like the backing plate feet. Sorry but that is NOT a proper rollbar or cage install. The feet will tear the aluminum floor and rear wheel well easily if you have any decent load. That would not pass SCORE or any other reputable Motorsports organisation. You have to tie to the frame to have a chance of the cage holding up the truck. The downside with having to tie to the frame is the frame is far from the outside of the truck so it is not really a clean set-up. The best I have come up with is a bit of a mix of cage designs where I do similar to what you see in this truck but have an exoskeleton section below the truck that ties to the frame. I also have to add an 'X' to the center of the truck and under to the frame (one 'X' for 2 man, and 2 'X's for 4 man). It is a lot more tube but can take a good shunt without failing. I am building a truck right now that will have this set-up and will share pics when done.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cutting giant holes in the B pillar makes it useless as rollover protection. And 911 is spot on about the backing plates, if you roll they will tear the nicest square hole in the thin aluminum. I would be embarrassed to show that "design"/workmanship.

But they did prove the stock HMMWV is as tough as nails which we knew anyway.

Sintorion

What I want to know is why they didn't let some freaking air out of the tires if they were trying to run through sand and especially on the rocks. You have bead locks for reason. Also that roll cage looked very weak. I wouldn't want to be underneath it in a roll over. Especially when they folded the windshield down.

alphaseventwo

911joeblow, NDT, and Sintorion, thank you each! This is the response I was looking for. Guys who would know about that roll-cage setup. I'm of the mindset that A, I'm not in the military, and if I was the truck would be set-up accordingly. B, I'm a civilian who knows that these trucks are awesome and they can be set-up very much mission specific. For example- when I need to go get lumber, the rear seats are down, when I'm cold in winter, the 2-man curtain goes on, when its 95 out and I'm at Silver Lakes- no doors/top is nice, and when its time to camp off this thing, its cargo nets, ammo can racks, fuel cans, spare tire, and bug-out bags. Versatile as F***. Or maybe I'm over modifying it! LOL. Sometimes I think this site might be better named "Salty Old Steel Soldiers".

hangarhermit

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking forward to seeing what the HMMWV that is the subject of this thread brings on the auction block. Wish I could be more specific, but I don't want to get in trouble and get sent to the principal's office.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Meh... Anyone can take a Sawzall and buy 3G worth of tires.

I respect their right to hack a vehicle to pieces but not really what I like to see.

I'm all for mods but this did not really hit me as something I might do.

MHO... YMMV

Thanks for sharing.

Best,

T

FKAM

In the sandbox we modified (personalized) our HMMWV's out of all recognition to any TM. Modifications were the way of adapting to a changing threat/environment and fun. Just because it is not military, doesn't mean it wasn't done or would have been done had an idea not been shared.

pontiac62

I'm with hangarhermit. Curious to see what it'll bring at auction. Anyone know what the LMTV brought. They hammered that hmmwv pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M1081 LVAD

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the sandbox we modified (personalized) our HMMWV's out of all recognition to any TM. Modifications were the way of adapting to a changing threat/environment and fun. Just because it is not military, doesn't mean it wasn't done or would have been done had an idea not been shared.
Plus 5 for this one. The HMMWV was built to to be adaptable. Not a single model, not a single use or objective. Much of the technology is rolling into future models. As for mods, where this post started: When my wife and I couldn't stand the seats, we modded to have very safe and more comfortable MRAP troop seats (with 5 point harnesses). The benefit is that we got a roll bar out of it.

If the forum moderators would like to create a Mods only page, so be it! I'll participate. I think it is up to the to decide what they allow - of course, they might risk losing one of the most active sub-forums anyway.
In support of the moderators, I might ask to have posts deleted that feature red or blue gloss paint. ;)

ari

I see nothing wrong with modding the vehicle however one wants to. if noone ever modded the humvee and kept it stock we would still be stuck with the crappy first gen seats weaker parts no turbo no 4 speed or 3 point seat belts ect ect. dont forget the gmv and with all its super cool parts and gun mounts was born from soldiers hacking up the vehicles mad max style. When I was in if you had cup holders, 24 to 12 inverter and a way to play music in the vehicle you where a big baller some purists dont even approve of that :roll:. 2cents

jeffy777

I think these rig served the US military well. They were modded in the field a ton. Although some do not look military issue once modded it does not mean the rig itself failed its duty. I plan on caring for my rig. One day it may look too nice to have served. It may have markings that the military never deployed. It may even get parts on it the military did not and would not bless. Operationally my uses of the vehicle is different.

I do not want to disgrace this vehicle. But I want mine safe and reliable. I am very slowly going over my vehicle fixing stuff and learning about it.

This is however America and these vehicles served so we can be a free people. So if some one mods a HMMWV, a LMTV, 5 Ton or anything else pink and puts hello kitty stickers all over it, that does not bother me.

Roll cage was interesting the mod was not my cup of tea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks