• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not a CUCV question....

4bogginchevys

I am looking for an alternative 3/4 ton hub to run on my civvy truck. It is an external hub (6 3/8 bolts for attachment). Warn makes one, milemarker, and super winch....could not find the dynatrac hubs I have heard about. I am not impressed with these hubs and just got to thinking that someone might have seen or have a set of good hubs from a different maker...would like any and all ideas of an option...I have drive plates but need the ability to unlock the the axles on road so I cant use them for long.....Thanksaua

4bogginchevys

The auto hubs are not offered in the "flange style" that I need but thanks anyway.

I have a set of spicers...the ones with a yellow bezel...also available in red and blue...I have asked EVERYONE....noboby makes the bezels for them anymore and they were prone to breaking the center keeper pin out of the plastic. I have 3 spicer hubs, buddy of mine gave me one because the bezel of one I have was broken, he didn't mention the plastic where the pin is was broken on his too. Of the three I have 1 with decent plastic and it's cracking at the pin aswell. I've never ran these spicers because I cant find a manufacture of that dumb bezel, I guess they last about 20 years. A guy around here makes them out of billet for $300, seemed like 2 much for 25 year old hubs.

I have found a breakdown of the spicer hub online, but nothing for sale. Anyone know where to get bezels???

Thanks again:p

POOR WHITE BOY

They sell them on e bay but they are red - ford - the yellow and blue knobs are worth a fortune tor the restoration guys as they are very hard to find , the knobs sell for $35 a pair on ebay. The most important part about installing these is to not overtighten the allen head bolts - it will distort the chrome ring and make the knob very hard to turn. Also these type hubs would work on a 1976 cucv

4bogginchevys

cool, it was very loosely related to a cucv...lol

I looked on e-bay just before writing this thread, so I guess i'll have to keep an eye out.

I wanted red anyway because my truck is red white and black so that works out well.:razz:

4bogginchevys

i've read through some info on the pirate 4x4 site and they also agree that spicer hubs a great and the link was the topic of the bezels. Many guys on there share my dissatisfaction with the warns and mentioned that superwinch hubs were working good for them, cast iron guts, anyone here running a set?:)

btw, apparently they seal up well for mud/water aswell.

4bogginchevys

I looked on e-bay with your item number and it said bidding was closed for that item, so I emailed the seller and am waiting to hear back...

I called 4-wheel parts and they said superwinch hubs are discontinued.....$#$%

I have superwinches # now and will call them direct tomarrow....

wheelin this saturday with 30 trucks, sure would be nice to have a new set of hubs....

:confused:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love external hubs but for a wheelin truck, I'd be tempted to switch to an internal hub setup. With that said, there was a day (before Ebay) that I had litterally dozens of the blue actuators. Used them in everything. Of course they are all gone as are the all metal hubloks that were used on the 60-66 3/4 tons. Man I should have kept that crap.

4bogginchevys

Love external hubs but for a wheelin truck, I'd be tempted to switch to an internal hub setup. With that said, there was a day (before Ebay) that I had litterally dozens of the blue actuators. Used them in everything. Of course they are all gone as are the all metal hubloks that were used on the 60-66 3/4 tons. Man I should have kept that crap.
I've thought about going internal, and have 4 sets in the shed. I cant get them to seal up and hold 85-140 in and keep water out, and I have set upon set of wheel bearings for the big hub setup aswell, all used but still usable.

2 years ago when the spicers came to me bezels were available at the GM stealership near my house, it would have been way too easy to buy them then....

It's fair to say I have hubs coming out of my #$&, and none as a working, usable pair. we'll see if superwinch will ship direct, or e-bay will e-mail me.

Edit: I have hub locs on the truck now, they seal up good but are so old and beat up that I have to use a crescent wrench to turn the dial. The center pins in those are always bending and the ramp design to engage the hub is not well thought out in my opinion, I started making center pins out of 8 penny nails for strength but they bend too, the only part in those hubs like new must be the springs......bought them for 20 bucks a few weeks ago, wondered what they came off. I went thru and put new o-rings in the dials and cleaned them up, one of the gears/teath on the hub itself had not been all the way locked in last time they were ran and it bent the tooth just enough that it wont lock in now. I'm far past filing these to make them work, when I get a shop i'll set up a wall o' hubs...kinda like a journey thru time thing...lol

btw, autozone,napa,kragen,motion,victory.....they have no availability for these hubs, all special order at best. Makes you want to look around and start guesing what wont be available next, could have a nice retirement fund if you were to guess right:-D

Edit: looked again on superwinches site and they list the 400517 as discontinued....i'll call anyway and see if there's a set on a shelf in thier shed, maybe for cheap.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My last set of Hubloks sold on ebay for well over $100. Spicer made a replacement hub called Powertrain hubs. IMHO they looking like the classic Selectro hubs. Don't have a clue is they would hold up.

4bogginchevys

I found a place with the hubs I want, can anyone in the goergia area tell me if the have done business with Turner 4wd parts company, or atleast know their a real store. Thanks:driver:

4bogginchevys

Does anyone here know which p/n I need for the spicer bezel on a gm truck....

This seller on e-bay says there are 2 different bezels, c8tz or d2tz. This question caught me off gaurd and the only thing I can think of that would matter is the color/origin of bezel ( ford/gm/dodge). I've explained thier just spicer hubs....

Thanks

Edit: I bought a set of super winch hubs today, a little spendy for my liking but they get good reviews on 4-wheelin' sites. AVI makes the hubs for super winch, and the military. The military version of thier hubs has a nylon bezel.....anyone seen these, or have them on thier MV?

Last edited:

POOR WHITE BOY

The part number you need for the red knob - ford part number - dtz1a029a or check e bay again item number 360231834050. Also if you find the yellow or blue knobs - for the external hubs - let me know as i need a pair for a restoration , thanks , hal

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks